Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Ranch Ham and Cheese Pasta

We had both a turkey and a ham for Thanksgiving.  With only 10 people at the table, that made for a lot of leftovers.  I put the ham bone straight into the freezer for a future pot of beans or soup.  I made a big pot of turkey soup and put half of that into the freezer.  There is also a pan of turkey tetrazzini and another of ham Bonaparte in the freezer.
This casserole came from the latest Taste of Home magazine (Dec/Jan2011).  I doubled the recipe because I like leftovers.  My four year old had three bowls full for dinner and another for lunch the next day.  This is definitely kid friendly.  

Ranch Ham and Cheese Pasta: (changes in italics)
1 16 ounce package rotini pasta
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup sour cream
2 cups cubed ham
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 10 ounce package frozen peas
(not used, but in the original recipe:  1 tsp lemon pepper, 1/2 tsp dried minced onion, 1/4 cup Parmesan)
Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.  In a large pot, melt butter; whisk in flour until smooth.  Gradually add milk and seasonings.  Bring to a boil and stir until thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and 1 cup cheddar cheese and peas.  Spread in a greased  9X13 casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheddar over the top.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.



24 comments:

LDH said...

I think this dish looks very tempting. Kid and adult friendly! :)

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Yumm! Will have to give this one a try!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, yum! I agree looks very kid friendly!! :)

Belinda said...

I love the ranch. We had a turkey and a ham, too...sad to say, I finished the ham!! And we had a TON left over.

Krista said...

Ranch. Ham. Cheese. Three of my family's favorites. I know that they will love this. Thanks for posting your recipe. : )

Roxan said...

Both ham and turkey? Fancy! This is a great pasta. I assume you used the leftovers in the pasta. I love that you had more leftovers from your leftovers! ;]

katerina said...

Since your four year old liked it so much perhaps my picky son would like it too.

Drick said...

looks really good - like that you added the peas and the cheese, more colorful and sounds better tasting

Country Gal said...

I saw this one in that issue - but hadn't tried it yet. I think it's time to put it on the menu!

Kirby said...

My whole fam would enjoy this one! Thanks!

Miz Helen said...

Your Ham recipe looks really good. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week.

es65 said...

Sounds yummy and very Eileen friendly...

briarrose said...

Oh this looks tasty. I haven't had ham in forever. Fresh, yummy salad idea there.

Joanna said...

What a great way to use up leftovers!

Jennifurla said...

Super awesome, you reminded me of the lack of peas in my life. Lovely dish

Joanne said...

The only time I really ever have ham is on Easter but I think I need to make some so that I can have leftovers for this dish!

bookaddict4real said...

I wish I had this when I had all that left over ham! Sorry you had alot
of leftovers but I see you made good use of them.(cheryl@scrapaddict4sure)

Kita said...

This looks creamy and delicious. Mac and cheese is a mandatory dish at least once a week in my household, so having tasty spins on it is a must!!

Sue said...

I'm sure it's "big kid" friendly too! I'll have to remember this because we're having ham for Christmas. It looks delicious! You are so organized, thrifty and ambitious; I'm always impressed:)

Monet said...

Three bowls for dinner? Wow! This is most certainly a kid-approved meal. I can only imagine how great this must taste on a cold winter night. Creamy and flavorful! Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have a festive Tuesday!

Chef Dennis said...

I think you found a winner with this recipe! your going to have to cook ham just to have leftovers to make this for your son. I can understand why he likes it, with cheese and sour cream....yummm, I'll take a few bowls of that myself please!
Dennis

Christy said...

welcome to tuesday night supper club! i love this recipe...all sorts of yummy things are packed into this--kid friendly, but not kid food..genius! thank you for linking it up this week. hope to see you back again :)
best
christy

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This sounds really yummy. I am bookmarking this so I can make it soon.

Megan said...

This looks like perfect cold weather comfort food. I so should not be looking here when I'm hungry!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.