Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Mint Brownie Cheesecake Bars

    
You know those brownies with the thin layer of green frosting covered with a chocolate glaze?  These aren't them!  You know the brownies with the cheesecake swirl baked in?  These are closer to them.  With mint.  And a glaze.
 I put some green food coloring in that minty cheesecake layer, but you could color it orange for fall, pink for Valentine's, red for Christmas, or not at all for the rest of the year.  I suppose you could change out the flavoring, too.  Add orange, lemon, almond or coconut flavorings for lots of variations.  Add nuts, chocolate chips or coconut to the brownie layer for some added texture.
Mint Brownie Cheesecake Bars:
Brownie layer:
2 sticks butter
4 squares (ounces) unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp vanilla
Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave in a good sized microwave safe bowl.  Stir in the sugar. Stir in the eggs (if the mixture is really hot, let it cool a bit before you add the eggs).  Add the flour and vanilla.  Pour into a greased 9X13 pan.
Cheesecake layer:
8ounces + 3 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp mint extract
4 drops food coloring (you choose the color!)
Beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.  Add the egg, flavoring and color.  Spread over the unbaked brownie layer.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until firm.  Remove from oven and cool in pan 30 minutes on a cooling rack.  Refrigerate another 30 minutes.
Glaze layer:
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp corn syrup
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar (sifted if lumpy)
Heat butter, water and corn syrup in the microwave until boiling.  Heat 1 minute at a time until you achieve that as all microwaves differ slightly in power.  Stir in chocolate chips until melted.  Add vanilla.  Beat in powdered sugar with a spoon.  Spread on cooled brownies.  Store in refrigerator.



30 comments:

Carolyn said...

I hereby dub you the queen of cookie bars! You make them (a lot of them!) and they always look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Monet said...

I love the color...I think this is a great recipe that can be adapted for many holidays, and I'm sure they always taste just delicious! Bring on the brownies! Thank you for sharing this with me. I hope you have a lovely week. I wish you and your family the happiest New Year!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

These look so delicious!

Roxan said...

Yum, these look delicious! I love all your suggestions on variations :) I love foods that are so versatile. You can even put edible glitter in it for ringing in the new year!

The Hills said...

My husband would LOVE these, I'm going to have to make them next week!

Faith said...

yum! those look delicious. I love mint anything. In fact at the moment I am having mint cocoa but I wish I had one of those bars to go with it!!!

alessandra said...

Mmmm, yumminess at its best!
I wish you a wonderful new year, full of happiness, darling.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Be still my beating heart! YUM!

Tammy said...

Oh why oh why did I land on this page with this recipe??? LOL I am doing so well on my diet but these look like they may make me jump off the wagon! Love mint and chocolate together!

Boulder Locavore said...

These sound insanely good but then I'd expect nothing less from you!

ravienomnoms said...

Those sound soooooo good! I love anything that has mint and chocolate together, but add the cheesecake too?? HOLY COW! Yummo

SnoWhite said...

Those look amazing! I love mint and chocolate together... but with cheesecake?! That's over the top :)

briarrose said...

Mmmm....cheesecake mint layer...I love it!

katerina said...

These remind me of After Eight biscuits. I love the combo of mint and chocolate.

Adriel said...

Oh yummy! Cheesecake, mint, and chocolate... sounds great! =)

bonnie said...

I love the color and how easy they can be adpated...I have been craving brownies and I really should make a batch, yummy!

sweetlife

Drick said...

these look a absolutely divine, scrumptious sounding and such a decadent brownie - a real masterpiece

thespicegarden said...

I think you have topped Girl Scout thin mints for me! The addition of a thin cheesecake layer in these brownies take them way over the top! Saved recipe for Valentine's Day ... by that tie, my big Christmas butt will have trimmed down a bit!

Velva said...

Holy cow, those mint cheesecake brownies look stunning. No doubt they taste awesome too. Wow.

Cheers!
velva

the cape on the corner said...

oh my flippin' goodness these brownies...unfair!

Erin said...

Oh my heck! These look like pure heaven. I would like some of these right now! YUM!!!

Sook said...

My two year old son looked at the pictures of your brownie and tried to grab it with his fingers. :) Looks beautiful!

Claudia said...

I thought I was done eating sweets - but oh am I sucker for a brownie - a good brownie. I love how you did this and the add-ins and I would indeed just change the coloring to suit the holiday!

The Mom Chef said...

Cheesecake, mint and brownies. What's not to love. My heart's beating faster already, but that could be the cholesterol rising (not that I care). Yum, they look fantastic.

Emily Malloy said...

Ooooooooooh. Oh my.

Chow and Chatter said...

these look so tasty and adore the homemade pita and hummus post

Rebecca

Torviewtoronto said...

looks delicious lovely layers

Jeanne said...

These look so tempting! I can't resist anything with mint and chocolate!

Dishesdone said...

Those bars look amazing!

dreamsofcakes said...

Easy and delicious. I love brownies. Thank for sharing this recipe with us. I will try it for sure!!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.