Sunday, December 5, 2010

Make Your Own Monday #48: Fruitcake

When I think of fruitcake, I think of bright green and red cherries and other unnatural fruits.  I think of a loaf of cake so heavy that it could break a toe if dropped.  I think of something that sits on a shelf, unwanted and unloved.  Obviously there are people in the world who like them, because there they are, in every grocery store every December.  I just have never met one of those folks.  Ever. In any of the ten states I've lived.

So, here is my answer.  It contains normal fruit.  It is nutless (though that is just for my family's could add lots of chopped walnuts or pecans and it would be lovely.)  It is alcohol free (however, I imagine that could be remedied, too,  if you want ;-)).

Fruitcake That Won't Go Uneaten:
1 cup dried cherries
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup dried plums, chopped
1 cup golden raisins
2 cups orange or apple juice, divided (you can substitute brandy or bourbon for half)
2 cups sugar
4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp rum, brandy or vanilla extract
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup water
optional: 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
In a small saucepan, combine the dried fruit and 1 cup juice.  Bring to a boil and then remove from heat and let soak.  In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, oil, water, vanilla and remaining cup of juice.  Combine the dry ingredients, including the sugar and mix into the egg mixture.  Fold in the fruit and optional nuts.  Divide into 2 loaf pans and bake at 350 for 50-65 minutes (or until tests done).

Now, let me tell you why there are no pictures.   I had a sinus infection for a week or so prior to this week.  On Wednesday, all of a sudden it went to my eye.  By Thursday, when I finally got to the doctor, it had developed into not only a terrible case of conjunctivitis, but also a periorbital cellulitis, meaning my face was swollen from my eyebrow to my cheek, purple and watery.  I was put on a heavy duty antibiotic and then sent to an opthamologist on Friday and given a topical antibiotic eye drop, too.  My eye responded immediately and though it is still a bit pink, is no longer visibly swollen.  Anyway, the whole experience, along with 1)having the Comedian home sick for two days, 2)then cutting himself pretty badly on Saturday 3) having to still play the organ at a church creche display on both Friday and Saturday 4) arguing with the almost-impossible-to-live-with 16 year old Musician about his choice of friends, activities at a certain party he attended,  and 5) more, made me a little more harried than usual when I baked these.  The results: I added 4 eggs instead of 2 and the texture became more of a tea cake instead of a dense fruitcake.  Although I have made tons of these luscious cakes, under pressure, I messed up.  So there it is.  No photo.  No fruitcake.

My head is bowed in disappointment.


Martha said...

I love your recipe and hope to try it on my own sometime soon. As a child I absolutely hated fruitcake and wondered how in the world my parents could eat that stuff. Wegmans does make a rather nice fruitcake, one that I actually like, but I think baking my own sounds like more fun.


Bev said...

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has those moments of confusion in the kitchen! The recipe sounds great . . even without a picture.

Sara said...

Real fruit? Who knew!

I've never made a fruit cake, but this might be the year. You make it sound so appealing.

Added you to my blogroll. Thanks for posting all your delicious kitchen adventures.

BakingWithoutABox said...

A fruitcake I could actually enjoy! Lovely recipe. Such a nice combo of ingredients. Though I think I might have to take your hint and add booze. Tis the season after all.

Darlene said...

Ah, life with kids. I'm sorry your cake didn't do right for you.
Hope you get to feeling better really quickly.

The Better Baker said...

Well bless your sweet heart! All that and you came up with a post in spite of it? I'm impressed! I'm sure the recipe is great too...anything different from the 'usual' fruitcake is welcome. Thanks for sharing -

Belinda said...

Oh no!! I hope you and the little one get better quickly!! The fruitcake sounds fantastic.

Roxan said...

Mmm... Fruit, and cake. Two of my favorite things in the world marrried into one loaf. This brings smiles to my face.

21st Century Housewife© said...

Fruit cake often goes uneaten in our house, but I don't think your recipe will! I love that it goes in loaf pans to make two manageably sized cakes as opposed to one great big one.

Don't feel bad about the pictures, it's wonderful you managed a post with everything that is going on. Sorry you are not feeling well - Hope you are better soon!

ping said...

awwww... when it rains, it pours, doesn't it? But there's always the sunshine and the occasional rainbow after to look forward to. Feel better soon!

Rachel said...

Oh sweetie :-(
Yikes -- you've really had a rough time of it!!

I'm glad the medicine is working, though!

That sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing it!


Great recipe, Kristen! I would actually eat YOUR fruitcake!

whatsfordinner-acrossstatelines said...

Hope you feel better soon! The title made me giggle! I have yet to meet anyone yet either who will eat one! I wonder where the all go, yours does sound good!

katerina said...

My God Kristen, I guess my mom is right when she says that when a bad thing hits you, expect more to follow. I hope the infections will pass with the antibiotics the docs gave you. And I also hope that a period of tranquillity will follow for you and children. This cake even without picture sounds pretty loaded and tasty.

Monet said...

I have never liked the fruticakes that are sold at the grocery stores (I would always prefer a loaf of banana bread!) But I think I'm going to give your rendition a try. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope your week is full of joy!

shopannies said...

hope you get to feeling better and I so agree the homemade fruitcakes are total opposites of store bought ones

Drick said...

I had never been big on fruitcake until I made one without citrus peel, now I make a bourbon pecan one (heavy on both) that suits me.... and that is what I like about this one from you, no orange peel and lots of good stuff....sounds delicious

Carolyn said...

I actually like the traditional, heavy dark fruitcake, but I like the lighter, cakier versions too. Yours sounds very good!

Carolyn said...

Oh man, missed the bit about your sinus infection. Yikes, hope you feel better very soon!

gingerbreadcake said...

I hope you feel better soon! And don't worry about not posting pictures, I'm just happy that you posted this wonderful recipe. It sounds so delicious and much better than the fruit cakes I'm used to seeing in stores. I can't wait to try it out! :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.