Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cookbook Review: Fat Witch Bakery

Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery

This week, I found Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery in my library. As a lover of all things brownies or bar, I just had to see what kind of goodies this little (it's only about 7inches by 7 inches) book had in store for me. I wasn't disappointed.

Patricia Helding left a job on Wall Street to open Fat Witch Bakery in 1998. Today, her bakery sells more than 2500 sweets a day. Her desserts aren't fancy, but from the recipes in the cookbook, they sound delicious. She tested all of the recipes in her book at home in her kitchen so that all of them would be accessible for the home cook. There are no funny ingredients that need to be ordered on the internet in this collection. All of the recipes make 9X9 pans.

One of the best tricks I gleaned from this cookbook is to flip the entire pan of brownies or bars out of the pan and “with a sharp knife and a fast chop, trim off the crispy edges to make the sides even and clean looking.” She collects the edges and sells them in a bag as “witch's ends.” She says they “fly out of the store without broom-power.” In my house, my kids vie for the middle pieces of all brownies. By trimming off the edges, everyone can have a middle piece. My husband who enjoys the edges, eats the trimmings in a bowl.

Fat Witch recipes range from the classic Chocolate brownies, Lemon bars, Congo bars and Blondies to more decadent Caramel filled brownies, Maple oatmeal bars, Pb&j bars, S'more bars, Banana bread bars to unusual sweets like Lavender treats, Earl Grey brownies and Lemon cheesecake brownies. There is something for the careful cook as well as for the experimental baker. The instructions are easy to follow and there are plenty of beautiful colored pictures to get your mouth watering.

Note: I received no compensation for this post and all opinions are mine alone.

17 comments:

Sue said...

As a certified brownie "junkie", I'm looking forward to trying out this book. Love the tip on getting rid of the edges......I LOVE the inner pieces. Have you seen those pans they sell that make ALL the brownies an edge piece?? Gag.
:D

briarrose said...

I've heard such good things about this cookbook.

Sue said...

I bought this book recently, but haven't tried any recipes yet!?! Thanks for your review to spur me on!

Debbie said...

I've actually tried the s'mores brownie when visiting NYC once, it was delicious! I didn't know they had a cookbook though, and good tip about the edges, my husband and I always fight for the middle!

Evan B said...

I've seen these brownies pop up before, but what a great idea with the ends! They're my favorite part anyways :) Maybe one day I'll be selling thousands of sweets from my bakery!

Pam said...

Oh my gosh! Another great cookbook I have to buy. Great with the brownies and the edges. It makes perfect sense and I'll do that from now on. Thanks for the review and tip. Here's wishing you and yours a wonderful Merry Christmas and New Years!

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

Greetings! Thanks for visiting my blog! Your blog looks VERY delicious :) I am looking forward to checking it out. Have a wonderful holiday!
Best regards,
Gloria
P.S. I just became your newest Follower :)

Jason Phelps said...

A cookbook on brownies, and my wife didn't write it! That is one specific cookbook, but it must be a lot of fun to select recipes from.

Jason

Felice said...

I have this book too but haven't had time to try any of the recipes out as yet. I must do this in the new year. Thanks for the review.

Moogie said...

Great post. Brownies are my favorite.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

You know, it never occurs to me to check cookbooks out from the library! You are a genius!

Tes said...

What an amazing book! I need to check out if I an get it :)

the cape on the corner said...

witche's ends, that's a great idea. there's a store by me that sells their chocolate covered pretzel rejects..that doesn't sound good, but it's all the ones that don't look pretty. who cares, they taste the same, and now these cost less!

Tammy said...

I never thought about trimming the edges off of the brownies. What a great tip :)

Joanne said...

Mmm I have been DYING to go to Fat Witch Bakery itself since I don't really live that far from it...but maybe I'll just take out the book from the library!

Beth said...

This book looks great. Hope they have it at my library too!
Best Christmas wishes to you and your family.

Eileen said...

I just love cookbooks. Getting them from the library would keep me busy for-ever!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.