Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Mexican Mini Cheesecake Appetizers


To me, December is appetizer and dessert month.  With all of the holiday parties and goodies given and received, it seems that the majority of my calories come, not from three square meals each day, but from snicks and snacks grabbed here and there all month long.
These little cheesecakes are a product of my own imagination.  I am still not completely happy with the crust.  They don't really need one because the filling holds together nicely.  I tried crushed corn chips first and that was a complete disaster.  The little guys in the picture have a cracker crumb crust.  I thought about putting a little round of soft bread under the filling, letting it soak up the cheese mixture as it baked, but didn't get around to trying that.  An old fashioned pastry crust would work, but that was more work than I was willing to put forth at the time.
Mexican Mini Cheesecakes
crust
1 cup fine saltine cracker crumbs
4 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
filling:
1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
1/3 cup salsa
2 eggs
1 tsp oregano
sliced olives, for garnish
more salsa, for garnish
Place crust ingredients into a food processor.  Turn on the processor for 30 seconds or until everything is well mixed.  Spoon crumbs into a mini-muffin pan and press to form a crust.  Place the filling ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth.  Pour or spoon filling on top of the crust.  Place an olive slice in the center of each.  Bake 12-15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.  They will puff up in the oven and then fall a bit as they cool.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Garnish with a dab of salsa.


33 comments:

Evan B said...

These look like a perfect addition to my holiday party appetizer list! Thanks for being so creative :) Hope you had a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Marea Davis said...

Wow these are amazing! I love making mini cheesecakes and I cannot wait to try out your recipe! The flavor combos sound phenomenal!

Thanks for posting!!

<3Marea @www.TheFoodieFixx.blogspot.com

jane deere said...

I love appetizers! These cheesecakes look wonderful. I think I might try the crust with crushed tortilla chips or I have had some savory cheesecakes with finely ground Wheat Thins & finely ground pecans with butter...it gives a great salty/sweet kick. Thanks for sharing...YUM!

Kim Kelly said...

What a neat idea!! I'll have to ponder the crust... there has to be something that would work right. Nicely done!! I'm loving this!

katerina said...

I know it sounds funny to you but I am a sucker for Mexican. Last Saturday we went for dinner in a Mexican resaurant (I know you find this funny too!). I will try these without the crust as you advise.

Adora's Box said...

Very cheesy=oh so lovely. Good job!

Belinda said...

THESE are the kind of cheese cake I like! A keeper - impressive for appetizers!

Lisa said...

What an interesting idea! Very cute!

briarrose said...

Lovely concept. I don't think I've ever made a savory cheesecake. I get sucked into the sweet version too easily. ;) These look quite tasty.

Sense of Home said...

These look absolutely wonderful!

-Brenda

Megan said...

These look so fun! They'd make a great New Year's app. Maybe you could try cutting rounds out of flour tortillas and pressing those into the pan for crust. I'm thinking it would probably crisp up when you bake them.

comowater-forchocolate said...

A savory cheesecake?!?!?!?!? I love this idea!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, yuM! These look delish! :)

Have a great day!
Sherry

A Year on the Grill said...

They look so pretty... I'll take a bunch to serve next party! I like the way the sides look as is.

Maybe a simple graham cracker crust for just the bottom

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

A SAVORY cheesecake? *Swoon* I'd like to be invited to your holiday parties please!

danasfoodforthought said...

These sound delicious and so creative! I bet some sort of cornmeal/corn bread crust would be great!

Melanie said...

oooh! Those look delicious!!!

Blessings!
Melanie

allison said...

hmm, I'm having a hard time imagining the flavor of these, guess I'll have to give it a try :) Thanks for stopping by!

heartofacountryhome said...

Well they look and sound delicious!

heartofacountryhome said...

Well they look and sound delicious!

Jennifurla said...

OMG what a great idea...I have to try this - I love that it is savory...I could add in some much.

Miz Helen said...

Your Cheese Cakes are wonderful! Thank you for sharing and have a good week.

Carolyn said...

These are getting bookmarked because they would be perfect for me! I would just change out the cracker crust for something low carb and these would be a perfect app for me.

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

These look good! Mexican food of all kinds is my favorite, so this is a perfect appetizer for my house. I don't like olives, though, so I might sub sliced jalapenos for some of them!

Brenda said...

Sounds like delicious appetizers, or good for football games.

Drick said...

all of the crust suggestions still do not seem to do the flavor of the cake justice - the cornbread was the closest I would consider, maybe a masa base as in a thin tamale but would like it to crisp up a bit - think I gonna give it a try, love the idea of these little appetizers, you are so creative and this is one cheesecake I know tastes great

Mother Rimmy said...

Now this is a creative appetizer that I know everyone will love. We have several gatherings this year. I've saved this one!

Monet said...

I love this savory appetizer. I'm sure they would be popular at any holiday party, and the little chile on top is adorable. Great work! Thank you so much for sharing with me. Happy Hump Day!

JillyAn said...

They look so cute and perfect. Maybe you don't need a crust at all. Great appetizer for one of the many holiday parties.

Jenny said...

I love this idea. I have never made a savory cheesecake. Have always wanted to, but just never tried it. I agree, December is appetizer and dessert month. I probably don't eat a real "meal" until Christmas dinner!

Sue said...

I'd love to grab and go with this kind of cheesecake! They look yummy!

The Mom Chef said...

The only time I had savory cheesecake was at our wedding. I like the thought of making them bite-sized like this so people won't do like my husband, who thought it was sweet cheesecake and took a full slice (big surprise for him). They look wonderful and I'll have to give them a try. Thanks.

gobakeyourself said...

I never thought I would be interested in savoury cheesecakes until I saw this photo - looks delicious!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.