Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Homemade Candies: Make Your Own #45

First of all, thank you so much to all of you who wished me well last Monday.  I really appreciated it!!

Second, see that obnoxiously large picture above this post where I am begging for a vote?  It's for my 4 cheese stuffed pasta with white bean sauce.  Could you, would you, please take a minute and go vote for me (They called me Frugal Antics over at Marxfoods....my blog name is obnoxiously too long).  Thanks.

Homemade candy has long been something I have wanted to master.  As the holidays approach, I figured there was no better time than the present.  Both of these candies are super easy.  I have yet to attempt the molded chocolate type....but the year isn't over and I have some fun recipes to try.

In the meantime, I give you homemade turtles and homemade Frango mints.  Turtles have long been my mom's favorite candies.  I can remember many Christmases that I used my scanty savings to purchase her a little box of these treats.  It was my birthday this last week and I could think of nothing better than honoring Mom with her favorite candy after putting up with me for 40 some years.  She got the first taste and thought these treats were spot on like the store bought kind.


Homemade Turtle Candies (as seen on this video)
Pecan Halves (5 halves per turtle)
Caramels (1 per turtle)(a bag has about 40 in it)
1 12 ounce package chocolate chips
Melt the chocolate chips in either a double boiler or a microwave.  Place the pecan halves on a cookie sheet clustered together to form the turtle head, arms and feet.  Unwrap the caramels and flatten each one with a rolling pin.  Place a flattened caramel on top of each cluster of pecans.

Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 6 minutes or until the caramels are just melted, but not bubbling.  Remove from oven and spoon a dollup of chocolate on each turtle.

Frangos.  For any Seattlites, these are the old Frederick & Nelson treats.  Macy's now has the rights to them and they are sold all over.  They are traditionally mint flavored, though they used to be made in other flavors.  I can't remember which because mint was my favorite.  I could have eaten an entire little box of these yummies.  In fact, I probably did. 

Homemade Frangos (from my friend, Jeanette)

1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
2 sticks butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cap mint extract
1 12 ounce package chocolate chips
Dipping Chocolate (like those discs Wilton sells...or better quality if you can find it)
In a mixer, beat the sugar and butter until smooth.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add the egg, vanilla and mint and beat again.  Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or a double boiler and add to the sugar mixture.  Spread in a buttered 8X8 pan and cool in the freezer for 30 minutes.  While the fudge is cooling, melt the dipping chocolate according to package directions.  Cut the fudge into 1X.5 inch rectangles and dip in the melted dipping chocolate.  You must refrigerate these because of the raw egg.


34 comments:

LDH said...

They all look so good especially the Turtle candies! I think my grandkids would enjoy making these.

Drick said...

turtles are a favorite, mainly because of the pecans, but I do like the sound of these mints... will the freezer take care of raw eggs for good? did not know that, I have lately been using pasteurize eggs for that reason...

egbkid said...

i love turtles, they are hard to find around here! I usually do mot use any type of nuts in baking, I omit them because they are so expensive, but i might just run out and get some because these little guys look yummy!!

Claudia said...

I'm sure I've eaten a box of Frangos in my day. (I love the mint but also the raspberry).Loving your homemade candy. My kids wish I was as inspired to do so as you! Now that I look at the results, I may just get inspired!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

These look scrumptious! Who could turn a turtle or a frango down?

BakingWithoutABox said...

I love turtles! They're the best and yours look delish. Happy belated birthday!

Blackswan said...

Happy belated bday! Wow, it was my bday too last week - on Nov 10th & did a post on The Legend of Pipa Tofu & My Birthday!. We must've missed each other's posts.

These turtles are just great for both adults & kids! I could use some :)

Here's wishing u all the best & may all your wishes come true!

Barb said...

they look yummy....Barb

Sara said...

Yum. Maybe I will make my own. I'm a sucker for chocolate and caramel together.

jane deere said...

I LOVE turtles! I have a recipe that is similar that I'm going to post soon. I have never heard of Frangos but they sound really good. I'll have to try them!

Belinda said...

These beat any store-bought candies!

Faith said...

Do you think those would mail well? They look Deeeeeliiicous!

katerina said...

My son would dig in to them in seconds. They are very cute.

Beth said...

Your turtles look so cute! I'll bet both your candies are terrific.

Joanne said...

Turtles are one of my absolute favorites as well. Whoever thought to combine pretzel, caramel, and chocolate was a genius. These look fantastic.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Kristen~ your turtles are so professional looking! This would be a perfect edible gift for the holidays!

Debbie said...

You know, I always make cookies but never candy. I need to give these a try!

Emily Malloy said...

Fabulous and just in time for the holidays!

Squeaky Gourmet said...

perfect! I love to make holiday treats like this for the kids teachers and my husbands office. Thanks so much for the ideas!

ravienomnoms said...

My mom makes those Turtles every Christmas, they are so delicious!

Monet said...

I have wanted to make some homemade candy this year too! I've yet to try my hand at it, but these recipes would be a perfect place to start! I love Turtles. Thanks for sharing. Happy Monday!

Roxan said...

That's awesome, those turtles are so simple to make! That reminds me of another candy that's made in a smiliar way... you put hersheys kisses on top of a pretzel and bake them for just a couple minutes until the chocolate softens. Then you take it out and put an m&m on top. So delicious!

Carolyn said...

Gave you a vote over on the Truffles etc. website! Your candies look wonderful, great for gift-giving.

es65 said...

I love making homemade candy. It can be a bit nerve racking sometimes. Yours looks delicious. I'd love to get a box of those for a Holiday gift.

Marisa said...

Homemade candies are such a nice personal touch to share with friends and family around the holidays. Your turtles came out great--I love how they actually look like little turtles!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

I totally love ur candies and am thinking pecans everyday coz am so inlove with them:-)
And i did vote for u the last time i was here, do we get another chance, ok lemme hop and see!

briarrose said...

Love the turtles. I never can pass up the caramel and chocolate mix.

The Mom Chef said...

I think I'll make these turtles to bring with us to Thanksgiving. They'll be perfect (if any of them survive the drive. I love them.).

Evan B said...

How did you know I wanted to make candies for Christmas this year? Love it. Can't wait to try these

Sue said...

Your candy looks great! I especially love the look of the turtles:) I voted, and you are SO CLOSE to the front!

gingerbreadcake said...

I love turtles! They're one of my absolute favorites and thanks to you I'll be making my own! Your candies look so delicious. :)

Mother Rimmy said...

I've never tackled homemade candy, but I adore Turtles. I think I can handle this one. Thanks!

Sprinkles of Parsley said...

I LOVE turtles and never thought about making them myself! What a great recipe idea!

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

You are a candy making superstar! I realize the importance of this after my ridiculous attempts at caramel making. How DO I get myself on your Christmas candy list, woman? :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.