Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

While most of us foodies are cooking up a storm in our kitchens, I thought I'd repost a list I made of things I am thankful for.  I am so often guilty of getting so caught up in the "now," that I forget what makes life worthwhile.  I wish all of you a safe and happy Thanksgiving.   Thank you for making this blog such a fun experience for me.

To my Children:
~Thank you for the knee deep clutter in your room. I am glad we are able to afford those toys, books and warm bedding.

~Thank you for asking me to drive you all over town. The time we spend in the car is often the only time we get one on one time to really talk.

~ Thank you for waking me up in the middle of the night with bad dreams or sickness. It is good to be needed.

~ Thank you for the hours of homework we do together each week. I am so proud of the improvement you have made this year.

~Thank you for the “ick” of childhood. I used to be such a gagger. Now, I think I could handle anything.

~Thank you for wondering about so many things, even embarrassing ones.. My mental faculties will never rust while you are in the house.

~Thank you for challenging every one of my requests. You have made me think about really matters and which battles are really worth fighting.

~ Thank you for quoting stupid movies and commercials. Hearing you giggle together is music to my ears.

~Thank you for expecting three meals a day. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be able to indulge my love of cooking and baking.

~Thank you for asking that you be allowed to dress yourself, wear your hair a certain way, or even administer your own shots. My job is to get you ready to function on your own. These are steps in that direction.

~Thank you for whining about anything new. It makes me realize how much you need consistency.

~Thank you for all speaking at once, for forgetting to tell me about things you need for school until the night before, for having three activities scheduled on the same night. You have taught me organizational skills no university could teach.

~Thank you for the wet, sloppy kiss, for holding up the “I love you” hand sign as I drive away, for the picture you drew for me when you were supposed to be listening to your teacher, and for every other way you make my investment in you worth while.


jane deere said...

Sweet "thank yous" to your kids...amen to the organizational skills! Happy Thanksgiving!

Claire Gallam said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you :)

Beth said...

What a beautiful post! I love how you turned possible irritants into things to be grateful for. I'm going to think about this for the rest of today!

Boulder Locavore said...

What a funny, thoughtful post! We have one chance at each day and I think if you cannot appreciate the beauty even in the most challenging of circumstances it can be unbearable. Beautiful way to see the world and thanks for the reminder to look a bit deeper!

Monet said...

Goodness! I must be emotional today. This made me tear up. You have a wonderful family, and I'm sure they are so thankful for you too!

Drick said...

I think the best 'thank you' Kristen, is one we should say to you... thanks for always pointing us to a better place, a wiser conscience and clearer viewpoint on what really matters - Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family

katerina said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Kristen!

Chef Dennis said...

now that is certainly a wonderful list to be thankful for!
hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Belinda said...

Agree it's a wonderful list to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving!

Cookin' Canuck said...

What wonderful sentiments! This is the kind of post that your kids will go back to years later, and read with joy.

Jason Phelps said...

Thank you for reminding all of us of some great things to be thankful for. I know I have my own list!


Beth said...

I had to come back and comment again on this one. To my elder daughter, thank you for always making off with my hairbrush, because it reminds me how you take such care with the way you look. To my younger daughter, thank you for your debates with me, because it makes me realize that I've raised you to stand up for what you think is right. And to my husband, thank you for asking me to help hunt for your missing keys, wallet, blackberry, because it reminds me how you rely on me.
Great post! Thank you.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.