Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cookbook Review: Cooking Up a Storm (and Rosemary Walnuts)

Cooking Up a Storm: Recipes Lost and Found from The Times-Picayune of New Orleans


One of the best ideas I have had in a long while was to check out a copy of Cooking Up a Storm: Recipes lost and found from the Times-Picayunne of New Orleans edited by Marcelle Bienvenu. Not only are the recipes wonderful, but the whole idea of a newspaper helping people devastated by Hurricane Katrina find something as simple as a favorite recipe still makes me tear up a bit. Having never been through something as traumatic as a hurricane, losing everything, I hadn't even thought about how awful it would be to lose all of my family's favorite recipes.

The Times-Picayunne started a project soon after Katrina called “Exchange Alley” where people searching for a recipe were paired with those who still had them. The feature was such a success that the newspaper eventually published the most requested recipes in book form; Cooking Up a Storm.

This book contains recipes for old favorites like gumbos, jambalayas, beignets and oyster po-boys. It also contains recipes that came from New Orleans restaurants that had been closed by the storm so people could enjoy the foods at home or where ever they had ended up after being relocated.

I am excited to try (I copied the recipes for my files) such recipes as Turkey Bone Gumbo, Lady Helen's Cheese Straws, Calas, Nanny's Dill Pot Roast with Sour Cream Gravy, Galette de Rois and Tartes a la Bouillie. This book is a treasure and if you can find it, I highly recommend getting your hands on a copy.

Here's a sample recipe and another great holiday gift idea from your kitchen:
Rosemary Walnuts
2 1/2 cups walnut halves
3 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
2 Tbsp oil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Toss the nuts and rosemary in a medium mixing bowl.  Heat the oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium low heat until warm.  Add the cayenne and stir until it is dissolved.  Pour the oil mixture over the nut mixture.  Sprinkle on the sugar and salt and toss to coat everything evenly.  Bake in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet, stirring often, until the nuts are toasted and fragrant, about 20 minutes.  Cool and store in a sealed container up to 2 weeks.

note: I received no compensation for this review and all opinions are mine alone.

15 comments:

Angie said...

Mmmmmmm your walnut recipe sound so yum!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I know you can buy this cookbook form the Chronicle books web site because that is where I bought my copy! I loved the food I had in New Orleans when I vacationed there, and I when I returned home to New York I bought many Cajun and Creole cookbooks so I could learn how to replicate some of my favritie dishes, and this was one of my favorite books to use!

bonnie said...

Great review, I love that putting together a cookbook can help those who have face such hardship, the rosemary walnuts would be a hit at any table..

sweetlife

Carolyn said...

Oh that cookbook is such a wonderful idea and sounds great. As do the rosemary walnuts!

katerina said...

A cookbook is always agreat gift idea.

Sue said...

What an ingenious idea for a cookbook! Such a great way to restore favorite recipes all in one place:)

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

What a unique recipe!They sounds delicious! Thanks for the review.

Monet said...

I adore walnuts AND rosemary, but I've never paired them together. This sounds brilliant! My grandparents are from New Orleans, so I'm loving the thought of that cookbook! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

It is an Interesting stuff. Here I found good recipe book for guidance about how to cook different dishes with all details. This book contains good and different variety of food instruction.
Security Print

Beth said...

What a fantastic cookbook idea. Sounds like it's got lots of great recipes. I can't imagine the idea of losing all my favorite recipes.

Drick said...

this is indeed a fabulous book - full of great inspiring recipes, real ones we cook everyday down here in the south....

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

This sounds so delicious!

Cookin' Canuck said...

These nuts are great for snacking. I make a similar version with cayenne and rosemary, but also add brown sugar. The mixture works really well on roasted chickpeas, too. I'll have to look for this cookbook.

Mother Rimmy said...

What a fantastic combination. Rosemary would add such flavor!

BakingWithoutaBox said...

Love the recipe and will have to look for this cookbook!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.