Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

Since The Good Guy came back into town a few weeks ago, he has mentioned about 8 times that he'd really like some chocolate chip cookie bars.  Instead, he got cupcakes, key lime pie, a homemade version of Entenmanns, brownies, molasses cookies and just about everything under the sun but those cookie bars until a few days ago.  
My favorite thing about cookie bars is than instead of having to scoop out individual cookies and wait for each batch to get done, the dough goes into one pan and is baked all at once.  Poof!  They're done.  My husband's favorite thing about them is that the edges can be dunked in milk while the inner parts are gooey and chewy.   It's like getting two types of cookies in one batch.  My kids, who indiscriminately eat any sugar filled treat I put in front of them, are just happy to have dessert.
In amongst all of my baking chips, I found a partially used bag of chocolate covered caramel bites that I threw in along with the regular chocolate chips.  They added a little extra chewiness to the bars and a little surprise for the unsuspecting eater.  These bars are perfect.  I have made some in the past that were really dry.  I have made others that were too gooey (okay, that may have been my fault for taking them out of the oven too soon).  These, however, turned out just right.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars:
2 sticks butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
12 ounce package chocolate chips
Cream butter with sugars.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in eggs and vanilla.   Combine the dry ingredients and mix into the sugar mixture.   Stir chocolate chips into the dough.  Spread dough into a greased 9 X 13 pan and bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until golden brown and done.  Let cool in pan 15 minutes before cutting.

22 comments:

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Gotta love the ease of bar cookies! They look delicious!

Melodie said...

Nice bars! I always am in need of a good chocolate chip recipe so I thank you for sharing this at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays!

katerina said...

I am sure that although it may have taken a little more time than it should have, eventually your husband enjoyed them a lot.

eatgreek.net said...

they look amazing!!!! :D

Brenda said...

I just love bars and squares of all flavours, shapes and sizes, lol! You're right, they are so easy to make. These look gooey and delicious!

Melissa said...

Those look terrific! Mine always turn out too hard, and I'd rather have something a bit closer in texture to a brownie.

Drick said...

really like the brown sugar batter with the chips, not the choc bars I was expecting, much better ......thanks

JeanHasBeenShopping said...

Oh ho ho... waking up to this post is cruel!

Debbie said...

I really wish I had one of these right now or even that I had chocolate chips to make these...

Squeaky Gourmet said...

I bet the house smells wonderful while these bake as well! DELISH!

briarrose said...

These look wonderful.

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

wow... i am getting really hungry looking at this right now. thank you for sharing.

Susi said...

I love baking bars as well. I prefer the crust pieces all around the outside and my kids like the gooey middles :o) Your recipe sounds great and would be easily put together since I usually have all those ingredients on hand! Thanks for sharing :o)

Jennifurla said...

Wow these are easy and I bet so super tasty

Michael Toa said...

How delicious. I wish I could grab one now. :)
Thank you for the nice comment at Chef Dennis' blog. I look forward to reading more of your delicious posts. Have a fab weekend. Michael

21st Century Housewife© said...

My mouth is seriously watering now! I've bookmarked these to try - yum! And so much easier than scooping out individual cookies too - what a wonderful recipe.

BakingWithoutaBox said...

Saving this recipe! Looks perfect for quick shipping to friends and family as a gift.

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates said...

Yummmm!! I just don't think you can go wrong with cookie bars! And I do like how much easier they are!

Joanne said...

I am a HUGE cookie bar lover...and my cookie bars always turn out better than my cookies do! These look fantastic.

Martha (MM) said...

Yummy Kristen!
Come link these to the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies blog hop too, and to Tailgating Time tomorrow (both can be found over at Seaside Simplicity :-)

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Thank you for checking out my strudel post and leaving your lovely comment :)

I've never made bar cookies before but goodness, these look absolutely amazing!!

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Easy and they look great. :-)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.