Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Apple Rangoons

A few weeks ago, I visited the Gourmand Mom's blog and read a delightful post about Cinnamon Apple Rangoons.  I knew that she was on to something really wonderful.  She took wonton wrappers, filled them with cooked apples and cream cheese, folded them, fried them and dipped them in cinnamon and sugar.  What is not to like??

I had a package of egg roll wrappers in my refrigerator that needed to be used and I just couldn't bring myself to make egg rolls.  All that chopping and cooking and rolling...it felt like too much work.  I could, however, manage to make super-sized apple filled fried treats.  Oh yeah, that was easy.


Apple Rangoons (adapted from The Gourmand Mom)
1 package egg roll wrappers 
4 Granny Smith apples (tart apples work better here because there's a lot of sugar)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
4 ounces marscapone cheese (if you don't have any, use 4 more ounces cream cheese)
water for sealing the rangoons
oil for frying
powdered sugar for coating
Peel, core and chop the apples into small pieces.  On medium, heat the brown sugar in a skillet until it starts to melt and add the apples, stirring to mix.  Add the cinnamon and salt and continue to cook until the apples are soft.  In a small bowl, thoroughly mix the cheese.  Lay out the egg roll wrappers on the counter and place some water in a small bowl.  Place a dollup of cheese in the middle of one half of the egg roll wrapper.  Spoon some apples over the cheese.  Dip your fingers in the water and run a line of water all the way around the square of the wrapper.  Fold the wrapper in half over the filling and press the edges to seal.  Fold the two upper corners down to form a triangle, using more water on your fingers to seal.  Continue until you have either used all the filling or the wrappers....I ran out of cheese and had to fill a few with just fruit.  Heat oil in a skillet and fry the triangles, 4 at a time,  until golden brown (you aren't cooking anything but the wrappers because the filling is already done, so you are only looking for a good color and a bubbly texture in the wrapper).  Let them drain slightly and then dip or sprinkle with the powdered sugar.
These were amazing!  I served them for dessert one night and had people going back for thirds.  Any fruit filling would be delicious...peach, blueberry, pear, you name it.  They were so easy, so delicious, so addictive!


28 comments:

baking.serendipity said...

This sounds amazing...the perfect Monday treat :)

Sue said...

WOW, these sound D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Those sound absolutely scrumptious!

katerina said...

They look absolutely sinful. I love every bite of them.

Melissa said...

Oh, those do look amazing!

Candi said...

That looks delicious!

Kim Kelly said...

Oh my!! These look divine. Little pockets filled with apple goodness... you are right, what's not to like??!! We'll make these too!!

Brenda said...

I'm finding all kinds of fun things to do with egg roll wrappers, I'll add this one to my list!

Classic Kitchen Twist said...

These look so comforting, perfect for these chilly fall days!

Jennifurla said...

Very cool, I wish I had a plate full....for me and me only

Lisa said...

These look so good. Thanks for sharing this tip with me.

Belinda said...

What a sweet surprise. All that powdered sugar just reminds me of the coming snow!

Susi said...

These look so wonderful and I love the combination of crispy with the apples and sugar! I usually don't like to deep fry myself (have no problems eating it though) but I might have to make an exception for these little beauties.

BTW to answer your question about a AZ food blogger community, I haven't found one but if you ever come across one I'd be interested :o)

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

oh i love how lovely this looks!! i cant wait to try this out. thank you for sharing this.

Baking Barrister said...

YES! I am totally behind these. I love crab rangoon when made well, so the name pulled me in. Great little fall treat/snack.

Joanne said...

I have to say, I don't really like crab rangoons but apple pie stuffed rangoons? So good.

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having said...

I've never heard of rangoons before, but now I can't wait to have them!

Reeni said...

What delicious little treats these are Kristen! I love this idea!

Monet said...

I would have been back for fourths! What a unique and simple dessert idea. I am always buying those packages of egg roll wrappers, and now I have a new use for them. Thank you for sharing!

Martha (MM) said...

Mmmmm, awesome! Chaya just posted something similar over at Our Krazy Kitchen this morning.

Hope all is well in your world Kristen :-)

Drick said...

I can see why these were amazing, sugar coated little bite apple pies - wonderful idea and a dreamy dessert and snack

Quit Eating Out said...

I think these would be fun to make with my kids. I am in love with fall flavors and this sounds so different. I'm ready to give it a try... Thanks! Have a great night.

thegourmandmom.com said...

Great adaptation! I love the idea of making them bigger with wonton wrappers! Yum!

SnoWhite said...

what a tasty treat!!

Jason Phelps said...

This post sucked me in. I knew how excellent the recipe was going to be even before I read it. So hungry for baked goods now.

Jason

Mother Rimmy said...

This looks like a terrific Thanksgiving morning treat!

LookyTasty said...

These look so delicious!!!!!

Squeaky Gourmet said...

what a great snack treat!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.