Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Old Fashion Applesauce Cake

If you have an extra minute, would you hop over to Marxfoods.com and vote for my butternut squash and lobster mushroom filled ravioli?  The button is just above this post.  Thank you!!  Really.


Sometimes, in the middle of trying new recipes, I just feel like making something tried and true; a recipe that has stood the test of time and is still great....without any tweaking.  That's what happened last weekend.  I baked all day and filled the freezer with loaves and cakes and cookies.  In the middle of it all, I turned to this applesauce cake.  The recipe comes from a cookbook called The American Woman's Cook Book.  It was originally published in 1938.  My copy was a reprint from 1944 with an added section at the back that included cooking during rationing.  It's a gem.  

 I opened a #10 can of applesauce to make this.  Those huge cans of applesauce are so much cheaper to buy than the regular sized jars available at the grocery store. "So much applesauce!" You say?  Well, I made three cakes, that took 3 cups of applesauce.  The rest fit into a regular sized Tupperware mixing bowl.  The next day, I got it out at lunchtime and my family polished it off.  I knew they would....5 growing children love applesauce (even the unsweetened kind!).

Applesauce Cake (makes 1 loaf) (from the American Woman's Cook Book edited by Ruth Berolzheimer):
1/2 cup butter
3/4  cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup raisins
2 cups sifted cake flour (or 1 1/2 cups AP flour + 1/2 cup cornstarch)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs and mix thoroughly.  Add nuts and raisins.  Combine the dry ingredients and add alternately with applesauce.  Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until it tests done.  This freezes nicely.

36 comments:

Candi said...

What a great recipe!

Belinda said...

Wonderful...great with a cup of hot tea...or cider!

Monet said...

You will have my vote! This applesauce cake looks great. I'm sure it was super moist. I would love a slice with a big mug of cinnamon tea. Thanks for sharing

Melynda said...

Looks so delicious, I really enjoy loaf cakes like this one. Thanks.

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Im bummed that they aren't selling the big cans of applesauce at my Costco anymore. :(

I love how moist applesauce makes baked goods! Looks delicious.

Emily Malloy said...

Love.
It.

alessandra said...

Looks delicious and moist.

Susi said...

I love the simplicity of this cake. No fuss, just full of flavor! Delicious :o)

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

how pretty is this. i love it already. thank you for sharing this.

Kim Kelly said...

I voted!! Good luck in the contest, looks like you are doing well!
What a wonderful Applesauce cake! I tend to make extra things and put them in the freezer, but then I forget that they are there... need to work on my organization. My family would love this one...

gingerbreadcake said...

I love how simple your recipe is but so delicious looking! An absolutely beautiful cake. :) YUM!

Evan B said...

I've never had applesauce cake but I do have a jar of it in the fridge! Might have to try this :)

LookyTasty said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! Applesauce cake sounds delicious.

Jennifurla said...

I voted for you and this looks wonderful

katerina said...

It's funny that happens to me too. I try new things and try and try. And then after I have tried several new recipes, I long for an old tried and true vintage recipe, I was grown up with. It is so comforting, I guess just like this applesauce cake.

Claudia said...

It's a classic - sometimes you don't mess with those. Simple, moist and delicious!

Drick said...

voted... and what a wonderful loaf, like the homeyness of it, I mean, it is great recipes like this that makes a kitchen part of a home

BakingWithoutaBox said...

Love this old standard. So good! Great photo. Made me think of granma's house. Got to go vote.

Sue said...

Applesauce bread is a classic and I love it! Yours is a beauty! BTW, I voted:)

Brenda said...

I was just looking at a can of applesauce in my cupboard, this would be a great way to use it!

es65 said...

That cake looks delicious. It reminds me of a cake my grandma use to make. I know what you mean about tried and true. I have few of those myself.

The Mom Chef said...

Hey there. This looks fantastic. Almost as nice as the award that I've given you. It on my blog. Please pick it up. You so deserve it!

Cookin' Canuck said...

This cake looks so moist and the perfect thing for a mid-autumn afternoon snack.

Joanne said...

It definitely is nice at times to go back to recipes that you know just work. This sounds delicious.

Pacheco Patty said...

This cake sure looks moist and delicious, I just love the classic old fashioned cakes made with applesauce:)

danasfoodforthought said...

Sometimes tried and true is definitely the way to go! This looks great :)

Quit Eating Out said...

I LOVE finding and trying apple recipes in the fall. This sounds perfect with a cup of coffee first thing in the morning or in the afternoon.

Debbie said...

I love baking with applesauce. This looks great.

LDH said...

My husband remembers loving applesauce cake from his childhood. I have made it a few times in the past but never really thought it to be all that exciting. I will bake your recipe and I am sure he will be a happy camper.

Reeni said...

Your applesauce cake looks wonderful! So moist and you can't beat the flavor - one of my favorites for baked good. I'm spending the entire day tomorrow baking - can't wait!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Just voted! Good Luck!

I love apple sauce cake--yours looks so rich and moist! IT sounds like it would go wonderfully with a big scoop of caramel ice cream!

Mother Rimmy said...

You are so right. Some recipes just don't need adjustments. Why mess with a good thing!

Beth said...

Applesauce cake is terrific, and I love old-fashioned, tried and true recipes. Sometimes they really are the best!

Elisabeth said...

What a yummy apple sauce cake. Love the recipe, with the unsweetened apple sauce, and the gorgeous photo of it!
Thank you for your kind comment on my blog!

The Mom Chef said...

I love sweet breads and cakes like this; apple, pumpkin, etc. I'm so glad that even though zucchini bread season is over, we're into apple and pumpkin bread/cake season! This looks absolutely wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Deborah Dowd said...

One of my favorite food memories is my grandma making applesauce cakes at holiday time. I have been trying to find a recipe that comes close to her dark moist flavorful, but they all seem to come up short. I will have to give yours a try!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.