Sunday, October 10, 2010

Homemade Twinkies: Make Your Own #40

Making homemade twinkies involved revisiting an old nemesis.  You see, I wanted these treats to be shortening free.  I needed a filling that would be creamy and thick.  After looking at a lot of copycat recipes floating around the internet, I realized with a sag of my shoulders, that I was going to have to use Continental Frosting.  Have you heard of it?  I suppose it has been around forever and is actually an old fashioned form of icing/filling.  I hadn't tried it before last Christmas, however, and the version I tried failed...miserably.  I have come to realize, though, that it was the recipe I used had faulty instructions.  I compared as many recipes as I could to the one I had and all of them stood together against the hand written recipe in my kitchen.  It turned out much better this time around.

I also had to search high and low for a sponge cake recipe that didn't call for 7-9 eggs, separated.  I had 2 egg whites in a bowl in my fridge from the butterscotch pie I had made earlier in the week (I wonder if I took any pictures of was gone in one sitting)  Anyway, I was feeling lazy and wanted to use what I had.  I finally found a "Quick Sponge Cake" on that worked.

So, here it is: this cook's version of Twinkies:
for the cake: (from
2 eggs (or 1 egg and 2 egg whites)
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup cake flour (or 3/4 cup AP flour with 1/4 cup cornstarch)
1 tsp baking powder
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until they are the palest yellow and very frothy.  Add the sugar and mix another 2 minutes until smooth and creamy looking.  In a microwave safe container, nuke the milk for a minute
or until bubbly.  Add the butter and vanilla and let the milk sit while the butter melts.  Add the milk mixture to the sugar mixture.   Combine the flour and powder thoroughly in a little bowl and add to the batter and beat another minute.

Spoon into either a prepared twinkie pan or homemade twinkie forms made out of foil.  Instructions are found in this video

Bake the twinkies at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from the foil forms and let cool on a wire rack.

For the filling (Continental Frosting):
3 Tbsp AP flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
In a saucepan, combine the flour and milk with a whisk.  Heat and stir until it thickens to the consistency of pudding.  Remove from heat and stir in the salt and vanilla.  Place plastic wrap or waxed paper directly on the thick flour mixture and let it cool completely.  In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy.  Beat in the cooled down flour mixture.  Keep in the fridge until ready to use to fill the twinkies.

Place the filling in a pastry bag with a plain tip.  Gently squirt the filling into three places in the bottom of each cake.  You can try making a hole first with a straw or chopstick.  Don't fill too much or the sides will burst.
The verdict: "Mom, these don't really taste like twinkies, but they are really good."  So, if you want a "good for you" twinkie and don't plan on buying the hydrogenated fat filled kind, these are a perfect substitution.  If you want either a vegan or a gluten free version, I found these recipes.  Be sure to click through all of it.  It's full of all sorts of useful twinkie making information.


theveggie said...

Your twinkies look so appetizing. I made a vegan version a while ago. They weren't as appetizing as yours look!

es65 said...

I'd much prefer a homemade twinkie over the original anyday!

Monet said...

I just love recreating these nostalgic treats! I have been too intimidated to try making twinkies, but after seeing your post, I feel encouraged to give it a try. Thanks for sharing...I'm sure these taste FAR better than any Twinkie you could buy at the store.

Ela said...

love it. looks delicious.
this will be in my TO DO list
when i get my own oven!

Joanne said...

I will totally take a good for me twinkie even if they taste NOTHING like twinkies because, honestly, these probably taste BETTER. I've never heard of continental frosting before...seems like a fun challenge to take on!

katerina said...

Even though it is the first time I see these they look delicious. So, I don't know what they are but I like them anyway.

Belinda said...

WOW! And look - the filling is full of things I recognize!

Emily Malloy said...


This is so completely up my alley. You take normally overly processed foods, and bring them back to planet Earth.

Love you for this. Fo' serious.

ravienomnoms said...

Homemade twinkies!!!YUM!

Jennifurla said...

They are adorable even if not exactly the flavor

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Lil' Joe hasn't had a "real" twinkie yet, so maybe I can make him think the healthier version is the real deal? :

Drick said...

I ate a twinkie, once - took forever to get that artificial taste from my mouth, (most of it stuck to the roof of my mouth) - would like this one for sure...

Reeni said...

These look so much better than the store-bought variety! I never heard of Continental frosting - will have to try it now for sure. I love your healthier version!

Joy said...

I love twinkies. OMG it is a great recipe.

Susi said...

Your twinkies look awesome and would even convince a non-twinkie lover to eat them. I love when bloggers take a terrible for you store-bought snack and turn it into a much better for you gourmet version. You certainly achieved that :o)

The Mom Chef said...

Heck, I'm not a twinkie fan so I'd probably adore these. They look fantastic. Great job.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.