Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Homemade Puff Pastry, the easy way: Make Your Own Monday #39

Although I like using things like Pillsbury crescent rolls in a pinch,  I love making things from scratch.  I just don't always like the time investment it takes to get the same results as store bought.  I was recently reading through an old Gourmet yearbook from the early 1990s when I ran across a quick puff paste recipe.  I knew that I had found my next "make your own."  Puff pastry has the reputation for being incredibly time consuming to make.  With this recipe, I had it together in a matter of minutes.  I still had to take time to chill it, but really, the work was minimal.  The results were as good as any puff pastry you can buy in sheets.

Quick Puff Pastry (from Gourmet)
2 cups flour
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup ice cold water
If you can find 100% wheat all-purpose flour, use it instead of the stuff that has barley in it.
Use real butter.
Cut the butter into chunks and place in a food processor.
Place the flour on top of the butter and start mixing it until it resembles coarse meal.
Remove to a mixing bowl so you have room to add the water.
Add the water and stir together with a fork.
Keep stirring until it forms a ball.  Wrap the ball with plastic or waxed paper and chill for 1 hour.
After the hour of chilling, roll out the dough on a floured surface.  
Make a rectangle that measures about 12X8 inches.
Fold the top third down over the rest of the dough.  Fold the bottom third up and over the other. If the dough is getting warm, wrap it up and chill it another 20 minutes.
Bring the dough out of the fridge and turn it so the dough it is perpendicular to you and roll it out to the same 12X6 original size.  Fold it in thirds again.
Repeat so that you have folded it into thirds a total of 4 times.
The edges will get smoother as you turn it.  When you have finished all of the turns, you can use it immediately or you can store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.  
When you bake it, bake it hot (400 degrees) until golden.  The exact time will depend how you use it.



22 comments:

Belinda said...

As usual, you make things seem easy!

Sara said...

I'm a fan of making a complicated recipe at least once and then using the store bought version after that. I'll make exceptions if the homemade versions truly taste better, though. Sometimes you just can't beat fresh flavors.

Kim Kelly said...

I'm ultimately impressed! Would never have thought of making it myself, but you have inspired me. I think I just might have to try this! So now I'm curious, what is the little pasty in the pic?? Looks great!

baking.serendipity said...

I love your Monday posts :) You always post recipes for things I never would have thought of tackling on my own. Holding onto this recipe for the next time I'm feeling brave and have a little extra time! Thank you!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

I always thought it wasn't worth trying to make puff pastry, but you make it look so easy!

jehara said...

wow! you made that look so easy! i am inspired. i am bookmarking this for future reference.

Monet said...

Thank you for sharing this with us! I've been wanting to make my own puff pastry for such a long time (it is so expensive to buy at the stores!) You make it seem like such an easy process...but I know there is a lot of talent behind this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Sue said...

Homemade puff pastry is SO GOOD! Yours looks really golden and flaky!

alessandra said...

Really? So easy? This one is a keeper! Thanks!

Allie and Pattie said...

Kristen I've never seen this version- I'm going to try this today or tomorrow! Surgery is next week and I'm already SO behind on blogging! :(
xoxo Pattie

Marly said...

Wow, you make puff pastry look almost easy. And it looks so flaky too. Hmm, my sisters used to call me that and it wasn't a good thing. But it's ok to say that about pastry, right?

katerina said...

I've already copied this recipe. Puff pastry is another dough I wish to conquer. This looks easy and quick. I will definitely try it. Thanks for sharing Kristen.

Martha said...

Sound so much like a regular pie crust. What makes it a "puff" pastry?

A Year on the Grill said...

I do my stint with home made PP... Mine is the time consuming type... will be giving this a whirl soon

Dave

Joy said...

That makes is a great technique.

Evan B said...

You've inspired me! I've always been afraid to make my own pasty dough but you just made it seem so easy!! :)

The Better Baker said...

Eureka!! I can't count the times I passed over a recipe calling for puff pastry because it isn't something I can easily find in this area. Thank you so much for sharing - I can't wait to try it!!

danasfoodforthought said...

What a great idea!! There are some things that I would never even thing to make at home, and this is one of them. Now that I know how easy the process is, I may have to revise my stance!

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

I've always wanted to try this myself. You've inspired me, I promise to make my own very soon.

Tasha Lehman said...

Oh, very nice! Saving this one!

ravienomnoms said...

Thanks for sharing this!

Joy said...

I have heard this technique before but I have yet to try it. Thank you sharing with pictures.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.