Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Homemade Entenmann's Cheese Filled Crumb Coffee Cake: Make Your Own Monday #41

Phew!  That is quite a title, but it's exactly what I set out to make on Saturday night.  My family has had a love affair going with those Entenmann's cream cheese danish things for years.  We had an outlet store close by us when we lived near Seattle.  At least once a month, if not more often, we'd stop by and pick up 2 or 3 of the cream filled coffee cakes to eat for breakfast or dessert.  My boys always would ask how much they'd have.  I'd hold up my youngest son's hand and say "The Comedian's pinkie length," (of course, I don't actually call him the Comedian in real life).   The other boys would take their thumbs and first fingers and measure the Comedian's finger and then carry that measurement through the air to the cakes.  Not surprisingly, the space between their fingers grew as they got closer to the cake.   We were lucky to get five quasi equal pieces cut out of one cake.

Once we moved out of the Northwest, we were faced with retail Entenmann's prices.  At over $3 a cake, we had to seriously cut back on our cream cake purchases.  When I was thinking about what to make this week for this series, it suddenly hit me that I could make our old favorite at home.  It was actually one of those Duh! moments, as I wondered why I hadn't thought of it before!

First of all, though, I had to figure out what was in those Entenmann's cakes.  I decided that they were really a kuchen.  After all, the original Mr. Entenmann was a German immigrant.  What else would they be?  So, I needed a sweet yeast dough for the cake.  Then, I needed a thick cheesecake like filling and a good, streusel  for the topping.  There are no good copycat recipes out there, so I had to combine and tweak three different recipes to get the desired results.   If you really want a store bought taste, include some lemon rind in your yeast dough.

Homemade Entenmann's Cheese Filled Crumb Coffee Cake: (makes 2)
the dough:
4-4 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup milk
6 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp yeast (I always use bulk yeast...I think that's 1/2 a packet)
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 Tbsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
Combine the milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat until butter is melted.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk mixture with the sugar and salt and let cool.  In a small bowl, combine the water and yeast and let foam. When the milk mixture is cooled a bit, add the eggs and yeast (the point of the cooling is to not kill the yeast, so don't let it get cold).  With a dough hook, mix in the flour.  (If using a wooden spoon and elbow grease, mix in the flour and then knead on a floured surface until dough is smooth and soft - about 5-10 minutes).  Cover and let rise until double in bulk; about 1-1 1/2 hours.  After rising, punch down and divide in half.  Roll out on a large jelly roll pan to fit the length of the pan and almost the width.  Spread the filling down the middle of each cake and either fold over the outer halves or cut strips and braid it over the filling...it's your call. Sprinkle the streusel equally on top of the two coffee cakes.  Cover and let rise another 20 minutes and preheat your oven  to 375 degrees.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  When cooled, dust with powdered sugar.
the filling
1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/3 cup flour
Mix all ingredients until smooth.

the streusel:
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
In a bowl, mix the streusel ingredients with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly.











30 comments:

DORCAS said...

OH! My goodness. I am going to do this tomorrow!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Joanne said...

My family LOVES entenmann's cakes and I am constantly trying to explain to them that when a CAKE had about fifty different ingredients, it's probably not a good idea to eat it. I'll have to make them this magnificent thing and show them what a REAL cake tastes like.

Lyndsey said...

Oh my this looks good! Much better than paying retail! :D

Bev said...

You are so good at figuring this stuff out! It looks delicious.

es65 said...

That looks so good Kristen. I love sweet dough treats.

Jennifurla said...

This looks so flipping good..very similiar.

LDH said...

Oh, yes... this is going on my must try list! Thanks for posting :)

Kim Kelly said...

Mmm!!! One of those guilty pleasures!!!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

My hubby was looking over my should and now wants me to make one for him!

Belinda said...

This beats Entenmann's any day! A cuppa tea and this and I'm good to go.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

I get so excited about Make you own Monday! I haven't had a slice of this in years! Can't wait!

Monet said...

My mom used to buy that cake on special occasions (mostly when guests came to stay from out of town) but I haven't had in years! Now I'm eager to make one on my own. Thank you for sharing....and thank you for your sweet thoughts...they mean so much to me right now!

Elin said...

mouth-watering cheese filled coffee cake....lovely with a cup of apple tea :)

katerina said...

You got to so much trouble to figure out how this cake was made and I am sure by the looks of it that it was worth the trouble and effort. I hope your family enjoyed it.

Martha said...

My comment has disappeared thanks to some small fingers... I don't know whether it flew off to you or into never ever land.

In any case, I do love Entenmann's and have often wondered how to duplicate their cakes. I used to buy them at Freihoffer's Bread Stores when my children were small and it was worth the 45 minute drive to fill my freezer with bread and bagels. Maybe you should move back to the northeast. How about it?

Susi said...

You sure could have fooled me with your pictures. Your version looks so much like the store bought it's amazing! I certainly wouldn't mind having a piece or two for breakfast of your cake!

JillyAn said...

I am quite sure your homemade version tastes a lot better than the orginal (which is loaded with crappy ingredients. This was a great idea Kristen...as usual!

Emily Malloy said...

Look at you... makin' Entenmann's obsolete.

You go girl.

gnee @ Singing With Birds said...

Kristen,

I just had a reader email me asking for a cheese danish! I'm going to direct her here. This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing it!

Marisa said...

I love Entenmann's crumb cake--it's actually a big family favorite and we usually have it when everyone is over. The crumbs seem to disappear before the cake does! Very nice job recreating this recipe!

Elisabeth said...

This is such a beautiful coffee cake, that looks so professional. What a "work of art"
Thank you for visiting my blog, and leaving your nice comment. I'm so glad I found yours too!

Magic of Spice said...

Wow, I love this type of cake...Looks perfect :)

The Mom Chef said...

I have to admit a special fondness for Entenmann's cheesy coffee cake so this is just for me. Thanks for doing the work and passing the recipe along to the rest of us.

hobby baker said...

Ohhhh, brilliant! I think I must try this.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oh my goodness...this looks so good! I'll have to save your recipe and try it soon -- Thanks!

Rachel said...

Oh. My. Word.

YUM.

I love and hate you a little for this ;-)

Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior said...

Now I'm POSITIVE your real name is Martha Stewart. I don't know HOW you do it, Kristen, but you have a knack at copying recipes and making them BETTER! I guess, manufactured meets homemade. This looks BETTER than the origibal and I can only imagine it tastes as good as it looks. I'm going to try it this weekend. Maybe I'll enjoy it as I read, "Saturday Stories." Thanks, Kristen!

danasfoodforthought said...

Hi Kristen! This looks so good that my brother requested I make it for his graduation!

I have a quick question... after you divide the dough and spread one half with the filling, do you use the remaining dough to cover it and then add the streussel on top of that dough? Or is the second half just set aside for another cake and the streussel goes directly on top of the filling? Sorry if that's confusing.... I want to make sure it comes out as good as yours!

marla said...

Smitten by this crumb cake!
Please join me to bake & remember lives lost in 9/11. I am hosting a link up called *Remembrance Cakes* Would love to have you. We are baking cakes, muffins, cupcakes. Anything is great! You can also share posts you have all ready published like this one. Just add the badge to show your support.
http://su.pr/2j5eSB

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kristen!
Just popped in to let you know I "borrowed" this link to include in my post today. Thank you!!! Here's the link.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.