Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Homemade Candy Corn: Make Your Own Monday #42

Regardless of how many people across Blogland have made homemade candy corn, I had to jump on the wagon and make them, too.  It is Halloween after all.  And it's a great activity to do with kids....I had four ready helpers (the fifth actually decided to take a nap....I love teenagers).
The entire process only takes about 45 minutes from start to finish.  Because none of us apparently passed Play Dough 101, we didn't make tiny ropes and hence tiny, store bought clones.  No, our candy corn were mighty, genetically altered, super-sized even.  We still ended up with two plates full for friends and an extra large pizza pan full for us.  This recipe makes a lot of candy, so be prepared.

The only thing I did differently from all of the myriad of others who have posted candy corn is to add butter flavoring for half of the vanilla extract.  Also, I waited to add the flavoring until after the cooking process.  It seemed weird to me to add it before the mixture boiled....don't you think?

Homemade Candy Corn
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup (I wanted to use agave nectar here, but it doesn't substitute cup for cup with corn syrup)
5 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp butter flavoring
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup powdered milk 
1/4 tsp salt
red & yellow  food coloring
Bring the sugar, corn syrup and butter to a rolling boil.  On low heat, boil for 5 more minutes.  Remove the pot from heat and stir in the vanilla and butter flavorings.  In another bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk and salt.  (If your powdered sugar has lumps, sift...believe me, the lumps are hazardous to successful candy corn.
Stir the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture.  Let cool at least 10-15 minutes, so you don't burn yourself.  Divide into three littler bowls.  Add the yellow color to one bowl and both red and yellow to another, leaving the third white.  If you have food grade plastic gloves, wear them, otherwise, a zip sealing plastic bag can be used to protect your hands as you knead the coloring evenly into the candy "dough."  When the candy is sufficiently cool, cut a fourth of each color out of each bowl and roll them into long ropes.
It's best to plan ahead when you start making the ropes.  They don't travel well, so if you don't put them yellow-orange-white, you may end up with strangely unfamiliar candy corn.  The color order matters.  Once the ropes are made, slightly squish them together and cut them into triangles.
Continue forming ropes and cutting corn until you have made four separate batches.


The family's verdict: they tasted remarkably like real candy corn, but the texture was a little off.  They liked how big they were, I liked how much fun they were to make as a family.

29 comments:

danasfoodforthought said...

Looks like a fun family project!!

Belinda said...

You are amazing!! These are awesome - and so much better than what you buy, not to mention, far cooler.

egbkid said...

I never liked candy corn, but for a unique project like this, i might just try it to hand out to friends! Looks great!

Christy said...

Your helper is adorable! What a fun family project!

Drick said...

not a big fan of candy corn either, too much sugar, but for a family project, this is probably as much fun as pulling salt water taffy, something we did as kids and a great bonding experience

Mother Rimmy said...

This is too cute! I adore candy corn. My brothers loved me on Halloween because I would trade chocolate for candy corn. Great job!

Monet said...

What a fun family project...and the result is one of my favorite childhood candies. I just adore candy corn. Thank you for sharing...and thank you for your sweet words of compassion regarding my family...they mean so much.

baking.serendipity said...

I have never seen homemade candy corn before! What a great idea and fun family project. I love it!

The Mom Chef said...

The only person in my family that eats candy corn is me so I am running away from this wonderful recipe. FAST.

Marisa said...

Me and my mom have an unhealthy obsession with candy corn. You don't even want to know how many BAGS we have gone through this month. It looks like it was so much fun to make it from scratch with your family. I like how they look when they are big!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

I <3 candy corn! What a fun family activity.

katerina said...

It is always fun when a family gets together to make something in the kitchen. I am sure you had a lovely time working all together for a common goal. And your triangles look full of love and family spirit.

alessandra said...

They are beautiful, and what a fun experience to have with kids. Do you believe that I never tasted candy corn?

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Kristen, Your MYOM posts always give me a BIG smile! Cute little helper you've got there!

jana@cherryteacakes.com said...

candy corn sounds so fun to make! i love it!

Susi said...

Kristen another awesome MYOM post! It looks like such a fun project to do with the kids :o)

Cozy Home Scenes said...

I've seen pictures of homemade candy corn floating around online, but no recipe. Thanks for providing us with one. I kept wondering how the heck were people making it!

Carolyn said...

Very, VERY cool! I don't like candy corn but my kids do and would be all over this project!

shopannies said...

very cool and it not only looks good to eat but very fun to make

Chef Dennis said...

it looks like you had a great time making them! I love candy corn, so bigger ones sounds even better!
thanks for sharing!

foodies at home said...

Very Cool! And what a great thing to do with the fam!

Evan B said...

I love candy corn so big ones would be great! and I really like the idea of making my own candy.. it always feels like a great accomplishment :)

Sara said...

Fun! I love mixing candy corn with peanuts. My favorite Halloween snack. What a cutie you've got at your house! She looks like a fun kitchen helper to have around.

JeanHasBeenShopping said...

I showed your candy corn recipe to my 5 year old. We both think they look delicious!

Rachel said...

love this!
no matter how many people do something, everyone has their own personality, tweaks and uniqueness to add to each recipe.

LOVE the size and that y'all did this as a family. PERFECT!

Sue said...

What a fun activity to do with the kids! I bet they were pretty proud of themselves:) Jumbo candy corn sounds great:)

BakingWithoutABox said...

Love the super size candy corn! So cute with the kids

eatgreek.net said...

so much better for kids! :D

Yesim said...

looks cute..

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.