Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The First Apple Pie of the Year

 Autumn is pie season as far as I am concerned.  Throughout the long hot Arizona summer, I avoid turning on the oven as much as possible, but as soon as the temperatures dip below 80, I am back in the kitchen.  When the temperatures dip below 70, I do a dance and spend most of my time baking.  It's really hard to be so dependent on the weather, because Mother Nature hardly ever plays fair.  This fall, for instance, has been just an extension of summer.  We had a teaser weekend of 60 degree weather in September, but mostly it has remained in the upper 80s and lower 90s.  You can bet I made an apple pie during that cool snap, though.
Apple pie in our house is a simple affair.  Only cinnamon is allowed to grace our apples.  This little pie (and it was little compared to some of the 10 inch pies the are produced around here) was sweetened with blue agave nectar; just to see how it worked.  In fact, unlike the normal apple pies I bake, I only put a scant 1/3 cup of sweetener in it.  I used some Gala apples, as well as Granny Smiths to increase the sweet factor.  A mix of apple varieties in a pie always makes for better taste.

I have already posted my apple pie recipe, but I wanted to celebrate the first pie of the season.  It was such a treat.  In fact, I am heading out to the kitchen to make another one today.  How about you?  Do you celebrate Fall with apple pie?

Here is my pie crust recipe, too.

20 comments:

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Yumm. Gotta love the first pie of the season! Haven't made mine yet.

alessandra said...

Usually not, but now you inspired me, love me some apple pie ;)

21st Century Housewife© said...

Great minds think alike - I made an apple pie last weekend too! There is nothing like a slice of pie in the autumn. I agree with what you said about mixing apple varieties, and I like cinnamon in my pie too :)

Kim Kelly said...

Apple pie has always been one of my favorite desserts. Like the agave sub, may have to try that. I do love lots of cinnamon, but also need a dash of nutmeg! Happy Apple Season!! =)

Martha said...

We always celebrate fall with apple pie. My favorite for putting into a pie are 20 ounce apples and I rarely mix them with other kinds. I guess they are pretty much a NY apple as most folks have never heard of one. I like mine with just cinnamon too.

Susi said...

I love apple pie! Unfortunately we are still sweating down in the valley, even though I have decided I'm pretending it is cool enough for soups and stews!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

apple pies are so in season right now. i love the smell it leaves your kitchen. this looks really good. thank you for sharing this.

Lyndsey said...

Our fall weather usually doesn't show up until December here in Florida! :D that's okay with me. I like how you slice the apples in your apple pie. That is the way my mom did it, (and there is no apple pie like my moms!) Lol! Yours looks close!

katerina said...

One of the things I enjoyed very much while being in the States were apple pies. You sure know how to make apple pies you guys. I am sure you are no exception Kristen. I wish I was closer so I could taste this one.

Jennifurla said...

Here is to the pie, yours is lovely

Beth said...

I love apple pie, but I'm more likely to make an apple crisp. We all love it and I don't have to worry about the pastry!

Rick said...

How many pies do you make a year?

Belinda said...

Pure and precious is this first pie of the year!

Joanne said...

This weather has been driving me SUPER crazy! But when it comes down to it, I could eat apple pie any time. Especially one as delicious as this.

Magic of Spice said...

Beautiful pie...Happy pie season :)

Reeni said...

I sure do! We had our first pies already! I love how you baked yours with just a touch of cinnamon to let the apple flavor shine through.

Drick said...

great looking pie, love the layering... and as for my pie, well, I just have to add a little bourbon to it, that's just the way we have always made it

Monet said...

The agave nectar sounds like a great idea! I like to keep my apple pies simple too...and how did you know that they are my very favorite dessert! I'm so looking forward to cooler weather because it means lots and lots of pies around here. Thanks for sharing!

Sue said...

This is the perfect time for apple pie! Your crust looks so flaky and I love your apple on top:)

danasfoodforthought said...

I could go for a bite of this tasty looking pie!! Looks like it's stuffed with tons of delicious apples!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.