Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cookbook Review: Gabriel's Desserts



Did you know that not only are Paula Deen and her sons great cooks, but Paula has a cousin in Marietta, GA that also has a restaurant/bakery/cookbook? I found Johnnie Gabriel's Cooking in the South at my local library and had a ball reading through it.

She and her husband, Ed, started baking out of their home in 1989. Before long, they were so busy that Johnnie quit her day job and moved the business into a place of its own. She and her husband have been running Gabriel's ever since. It is now a full service restaurant as well as a busy bakery. Her specialties range from cakes and cookies to soups and sandwiches.

I tried her Chewbilee cookies, coconut pound cake and pumpkin cookies. Some of them made it to the freezer for future meals, but most were eaten as fast as they cooled down. Although most of her recipes have been modified for the home cook, a few still contain large quantities of ingredients. I had to do my own math on the Chewbilees because frankly, I was not going to make a recipe that called for 8 sticks of butter!!! I am still anxious to try some of the other recipes I found, like her Parmesan Rice, Cherry Pork Loin and Cheese Grits with Pancetta.

Overall, this was a nice cookbook. Most of the recipes are for family favorites: macaroni and cheese, baked chicken, bbq ribs, chicken salad, minestrone, etc. A few are definitely Southern in nature, but anyone anywhere could find something fun and delicious that would suit their tastes. The baked goods in the back were what caught my eye.

Often, when I read a cookbook and the recipes inspire me to start thinking in terms of variations, I will keep the book simply for that reason. I put post it notes on pages and make notes of my ideas. This book was one of those. After reading through her four or five different pound cake recipes, I started having visions of a baking day filled with loaves of exotic cakes. One of these days, when time and family allows, I will fill my freezer with a dozen or so loaves of goodies.

Here is a link to Johnnie's home page.  While writing this review, I also discovered that Johnnie has a new cookbook called Second Helpings that has recently been released.  I am definitely going to have to look and see if I can get my hands on a copy!


note: I received no compensation for this review and all opinions are mine.

12 comments:

katerina said...

It happens to me as well. When I read a cookbook I start to imagine how I can alter and adjust its recipes to our likings.

Beth said...

Sounds like fun. I agree -- 8 sticks of butter is a bit excessive, even for someone who loves butter in everything!

shopannies said...

I love cookbooks especially one filled with delicious desserts

Emily Malloy said...

What fun! I adore cookbooks. And Paula Deen, her recipes, her kitchen, and her hair.

Sheesh!

Penny said...

Great to hear about Paula's cousin. I'll keep an eye out for her cookbook.

Joanne said...

What a fun cookbook find! It sounds like it has a lot of crazy delicious recipes. Thanks for sharing with us!

Sue said...

You can never have too many cookbooks! :)

Claudia said...

I always make notes in my cookbooks. That's part of the fun. I will admit that I would pause a moment before I made anything with 8 sticks of butter!

Monet said...

I love looking through cookbooks...I always walk away with a bit of inspiration! Thank you for sharing with me. And yes, 8 sticks of butter would have been too much for me too!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Thanks for the review--I hadn't seen this one!

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas! said...

I had no idea. Thanks for the info. Every dish you listed sounds great. mmm Cherry pork loin...yum. Although 8 sticks of butter sounds nuts, you know the recipe is probably gourmet delicious! I'm going to have to look for her books. Thanks again for posting your review :)

I'm your newest follower.

~Sarah

Confectionary Designs said...

Thank you for the review. Always good to hear whats out there!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.