Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Browned Butter Orzo

Have you ever looked in a cupboard and had an ingredient just speak to you?  Perhaps it was a bag of chocolate chips or a bottle of curry powder.  Whatever it was, you just knew you had to make something with it immediately.  That's what my jar of orzo did last week.  

I wanted it to star in a dish.  Usually orzo co-stars in pilaf or soup or salads, but this time it took center stage. A browned butter stage.  It really was a great combination with the nutty browned butter and the normally shy orzo.   I served it with pork roast and maple carrots.  It was a lovely meal.  

Browned Butter Orzo:
1 pound orzo, cooked according to package directions
1/2 stick butter
2 Tbsp truffle oil
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 Tbsp dried chervil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
Brown the butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Watch out that you don't burn the butter, you just want it a pretty, deep brown.  Lower the heat and add the truffle oil, nutmeg, chervil, salt and pepper.  Heat through and pour over the cooked, drained, but still warm orzo.  Serve immediately.


19 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Yum Kristen! I love orzo and sometimes use it in a risotto style dish. This looks delicious! My surgery is tomorrow, so I'll be MIA for a bit. Have a wonderful week!
xoxo Pattie

Susi said...

Oh, this orzo looks delicious! I bet the addition of truffle oil and chervil took this otherwise simple side dish to a whole new level!

Belinda said...

DONE! I love orzo and was on this orzo kick for a while and then got a bit bored, but you just reinvigorated my interest in it. Brown butter. Nice.

bonnie said...

we love orzo and with brown butter, perfect for fall meals...did I just spy homemade twinkies? oh yum

sweetlife

Monet said...

I can smell that browned butter as I type! Ryan and I both love orzo, and we have a jar in our pantry waiting to be used. This looks like a wonderful way to serve it. Thank you for sharing!

Lisa said...

Looks delicious! I don't know what it is about orzo that makes it so good, but it just is!

Debbie said...

I have some in the pantry just waiting to be cooked!

Sara said...

OOOOH. Nutmeg. I'm in.

Mother Rimmy said...

I have a whole box of orzo waiting for this recipe. I can't say I've ever seen chervil in the store. I'll have to ask the clerk.

Joy said...

I have always loved orzo. Great recipe.

ravienomnoms said...

I really enjoy orzo, this looks like a must try!

roxan said...

Ooo I love the addition of truffle oil!

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

I simply love anything with browned butter BUT orzo would be the BEST :)

Blessings!
Gail

katerina said...

I am sure the truffle oil certainly added to its flavor. It looks simple but with great taste.

Beth said...

That looks really great -- a perfect side dish!

Lisa said...

Browned butter, what a great touch.

Drick said...

so into brown butter these days - love it in icing and sauces, this dish will certainly go into my favorite file

jana@cherryteacakes.com said...

all things brown butter are good. mmm. sounds delicious!

Magic of Spice said...

Truffle oil...Brown butter...yes please :) Looks great!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.