Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Apple Cheddar Sticky Buns


These rolls have been a long time coming.  Last fall, my mom and I were talking about apples and what would taste good with them.  Mom said, wouldn't a cinnamon roll with apples and cheese be delicious?  I knew she was on to something, but time and life put the idea on the shelf until this week.  With nothing more than a vague idea of how I wanted them to turn out, I gathered ingredients and went to town.

Along the way, I realized that these rolls could lean either sweet or savory.  I decided to do both, but would really recommend that you only go one way or the other at a time...I went a little overboard in my exuberance.  By putting a cream cheese glaze on the top, they became dessert (or breakfast), but by adding a little rosemary to the apple filling, they went savory.  See what I mean?  It just may have been too much all at once.  Then again, maybe it wasn't.  They were really, really good.  And different.
Apple Cheddar Sticky Buns
for the dough: (adapted from Mott's applesauce)
4 cups AP flour
2 tsp instant yeast
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, beaten
Combine milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until the butter is melted.  Pour into a large mixing bowl and add the applesauce, sugar and salt.  Stir to mix.  Add the egg.  Add the yeast and let the mixture bubble slightly.  Using a dough hook attachment, mix in the flour and knead until smooth.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about an hour).  Punch down and roll out into a large rectangle.
for the apples
6 apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 stick butter
2-3 tsp cinnamon (according to taste)
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup agave nectar (or 1/2 cup brown sugar)
Melt the butter in a skillet.  Add the apples, cinnamon and salt and saute until starting to soften.  Add the sugar, stir and cover.  Cook, covered, for another 5 minutes.  Turn off the heat, uncover and let cool.
to assemble: 
Using a slotted spoon or sieve, transfer just the apples (not the sauce) to the rectangle of dough.  Spoon them on evenly.  Chop up an 8 ounce block of extra sharp cheddar cheese into tiny cubes and sprinkle them over the apples.

Roll them up, jelly roll style and cut.  Pour the remaining syrup from the apples into the bottom of a greased 9X13 pan.  Place the cut rolls onto the syrup (if there are a few apple pieces that end up remaining in the syrup, don't worry).  Cover and let rise another 30-45 minutes.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove the buns from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes in the pan.  After 5 minutes, invert onto a platter.
After another 10 minutes, separate them and serve.  If desired, drizzle with a powdered sugar glaze (powdered sugar moistened with vanilla and water or milk until runny).  They are plenty good without it, but some in my family don't understand the concept of a cinnamon-y roll without frosting.


32 comments:

Belinda said...

Right now, you and your mom are my heroes.

Monet said...

I adore putting cheddar cheese in my apple pie so these buns sound amazing to me! I love the combination of the sweet and the savory. I want to try this over the weekend. Thank you for sharing, love.

baking.serendipity said...

Apple and cheddar is such a great combination...but sticky buns takes it to a whole new level! Genius :)

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Would never have thought to add cheese (other than cream cheese) to the mix...interesting!

katerina said...

I wonder how they did they taste. Apples and cheddar. Now that's a combo that I have never thought of. I am curious.

eatgreek.net said...

cheese and apples.... hmmm... it must be good!!! :D

Joanne said...

I actually love dishes like this that kind of leave you guessing. Is it dinner? Is it dessert? who knows, but it's delicious!

egbkid said...

These look divine! I think i might make some to take home for Christmas...of course i will have to make a practice batch first :-)

Squeaky Gourmet said...

genius! AP flour is what? I probably should know this--and heh heh you said sticky buns.

Squeaky Gourmet said...

LOL OH! see--all purpose--I am so use to reading gluten free recipes now I thought I was missing out on some super secret cool new flour blend....

giving up coffee may have been bad choice for me....

:D

jana@cherryteacakes.com said...

oh this is just so creative and delicious sounding! i really want to try this!

JeanHasBeenShopping said...

Apples & Cheddar? That looks sinfully delicious!!

Stephani said...

I never thought of putting apples and cheddar together. I'll have to try these. Thanks for linking up to Crafty Friday!

danasfoodforthought said...

The combo of apple and cheddar is really so versatile. I love this version.... sounds so deliciously sinful ;)

Marisa said...

Oh my goodness these sound incredible! Sticky buns alone are such a great treat, adding apples AND Cheddar just takes them to the next level. Like you said, they can go either way--sweet or savory. I love that versatility.

Gypsy Heart said...

What a great idea! I will be trying these ~ thanks for sharing.

Pat

jennoreilly said...

mmmm I'd totally go the savoury route, sounds wonderful!

Here from tidymom, have a great weekend!

21st Century Housewife© said...

Your recipe sounds wonderful! It reminds me of my Dad, who always liked a slice of cheddar with his apple pie!

BakingWithoutaBox said...

What a terrific combination!

Jennifurla said...

I love these, I am going to try a grilled cheddar apple grilled cheese....then these quite possibly.

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

you got me all hungry just looking this:) it's so beautiful... you did an amaizing job..thank you for sharing this and have a nice weekend.

Drick said...

yum yum Kristen, You've hit a home run with this one.... not a big fan of cheese with the apples, normally do a cheese crust for an apple pie, but this one works in my mind beautifully....

Christy said...

This so crazy - I can hardly wrap my mind around the cheesy goodness inside the apple sticky buns - but from your pictures I believe they are delicious! Way to go!

Katherine ( Katie) Corrigan said...

Oh that looks so delicious.!

Debbie said...

Oh man I have really been craving something cheesy, but the surprise combination sounds delicious! Thanks

Magic of Spice said...

Wow, what a combo...They look and sound amazing :)

Letizia Golosa said...

These look exquisite!!!!
I really want to try this recipe!

Sue said...

Good call on the cheese, mom:) I'd love to try. These look deliciously sticky!

Lisa said...

That cheddar sounds like a really good addition, especially for people who like apple pie with cheese.

Alina said...

I love mixing sweet and savory. You can never go wrong with that.

-the constant hunger

Natasha said...

Cheddar and apples go so well together, so these must be come incredible rolls!

hobby baker said...

Your rolls look so beautifully soft and delicious. I tried making apple cheddar cookies a little while back but they were only good the day they were made. These look infinitely edible!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.