Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Szechuan Orange Spice Pasta

There is a company called DeCio  in Arizona that is changing the way the world looks at pasta.  Their handmade pasta is flavored; as in the dough is made with flavored oils, spices and herbs.  Their linguine comes in flavors like wild mushroom, spinach basil garlic, saffron, tomato sonoran spice and szechuan orange spice.  They also make fettuccine, orzo, rotini, and penne.   

The incredible thing about these pastas is that they don't need sauce.  Cook them up in boiling water for about five minutes.  Drain, reserving about 2/3 cup of the cooking liquid.  Add the pasta back to the cooking liquid and toss with butter or olive oil.  Add in whatever meat or veggies you want or serve the pasta plain as a side.  Really, they are incredible.


You can visit their site here or if you reside in Arizona, you can find these yummies at big farmers markets, art fairs and Whole Foods and AJ's Fine Foods.


I bought some at a local art fair.  I purchased sweet potato fettuccine, szechuan linguine, tomato spinach garlic (tri-color) linguine and garlic chive fettuccine.  All of them have had me daydreaming about their culinary possibilities.



Because I have five kids and their palettes aren't as well developed as I'd like, I ended up using my tried and true Fried Rice combination of Spam, carrots, celery, onions and garlic cooked up in sesame oil with a splash of soy sauce as a topping.  The aroma of the pasta as it cooked just about knocked my socks off.  The orange oil and ginger smelled wonderful.  The pasta had a bit of a bite to it (it contains some cayenne), but it wasn't overpowering.  My little girl told me it was too spicy for her, though she ate at least half of it.


*Note: I received no remuneration and all opinions are expressly mine.

16 comments:

Joanne said...

Flavored pastas are so much fun! I ordered some from pappardelle's last year and I loved pairing them with different dishes. You definitely did good with this one. The perfect flavor combo!

Belinda said...

How fascinating. I've never had orange pasta and never fried rice pasta! Love this!

Monet said...

I have never heard of these before...so thank you for the introduction! These would be a wonderful change to my typical spaghetti and marinara. I'm going to try to track these down. Thanks for sharing, this dish looks wonderful!

katerina said...

I have never tried flavored pasta before but I totally understand you when you say about food limitations when it comes to kids. My son has limited my culinary quests a lot. This is a great comfort food.

Indie.Tea said...

It sounds like a lovely concept, and your rendition of the pasta looks great.
I think that it is fantastic that your daughter ate a good deal of the spicy pasta. Great way to expand her palette :)

E said...

Looks delicious. Neat idea.

JeanHasBeenShopping said...

My gosh, what a great idea!
I'm going to follow your link. We don't have big farmers markets on this side of AZ.

Celeste said...

Flavored pasta?!?! AWESOME! You know, it would be fun to create your own pasta flavors at home. I'm thinking a butternut squash flavoring would be to die for! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

I bet this smelled wonderful as you were preparing it! Like the new background. :)

denizdalya said...

look very tasty !

Reeni said...

These pastas sound really great! Very exotic flavors too. I am off to check them out!

danasfoodforthought said...

Sweet potato pasta sounds like so much fun! I love the idea of these flavored pastas :)

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } said...

Love the idea of the flavored pasta! This is a must make recipe! Enjoy your weeeknd.

Susi said...

I bought this pasta before at AJ's and we absolutely went nuts over how tasty it is :o)

ravienomnoms said...

what a great recipe!

baking.serendipity said...

These sound delicious! I love all the new Arizona products I'm learning about on your blog here lately :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.