Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Raspberry Marshmallow Custard Parfaits

My banana pudding idea morphed as most of my ideas usually do.  I didn't have any bananas and I did have frozen raspberries.  I also had some marshmallows that were ready to be used or turned into decorative rocks in the front yard.  Then, there was the can of Bird's custard mix that I bought to make a Daring Bakers' challenge that has been languishing in my freezer door...it begged to be included.
 I was reminiscing about a dessert my mom used to make when I was a little girl.  It had a layer of marshmallows and cream cheese folded into whipped cream upon which rested a layer of thickened raspberry sauce, and all of it was spread on a graham cracker crust.  It was one of my favorite desserts and then, it was moved off the rotation and was forgotten about.  That is, until I saw the homemade vanilla wafers, the raspberries and the marshmallows.  
Basically, I layered the cookies, a homemade raspberry sauce and a marshmallow cream cheese custard.  All five of my taste testers loved it.  The Thinker put up ten fingers and flashed them multiple times.  The Engineer kept looking at his empty sundae glass, trying  to figure out how to get his tongue all the way down to the bottom to lick it out.

Raspberry Marshmallow Custard Parfaits: 
11 ounces raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup sugar (or less depending on how tart your berries are)
1 cup water, plus 2 Tbsp
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp water
28 large marshmallows
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup milk, plus 1 cup
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Bird's Custard Mix
homemade vanilla wafers (or store bought, if you must)
In a sauce pan, boil the raspberries, sugar and 1 cup water.  Combine the cornstarch and 2 Tbsp water and then, while stirring, pour the cornstarch mixture into the raspberries.  Stir until thickened, remove from heat and let cool.  In a microwave safe bowl, combine the marshmallows, cream cheese and 1/2 cup milk.  Microwave, a minute at a time, until the marshmallows  puff up and the cream cheese melts.  Mix well.  In another microwave safe bowl, combine the sugar and custard mix.  Add the 1 cup milk and microwave a few minutes, until it boils and thickens.  Combine the marshmallow mixture with the custard mixture.  Crumble some vanilla wafers into the bottom of parfait glasses.  Layer the raspberry sauce and the custard.  Add more cookies as you desire.  Chill at least an hour before serving.

NOTE: You can use a regular small vanilla pudding mix instead of the custard mix, just make it up according to the package directions.  Or, you could use a homemade custard...if you have the time and inclination.

27 comments:

Belinda said...

Great use of your nila wafers! And you know you got my vote!

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

Kristen these look delicious!!!!!!!!! Love the makeover too. Oh and I voted for you too! I think Min is going to include a bit about all of you OKKers tomorrow to encourage people to go out and vote!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

The homemade vanilla wafers....the homemade vanilla wafers!!! Must make them soon. Will vote!

Reeni said...

What a scrumptious parfaits! Especially with your homemade vanilla wafers. I voted for you - good luck!

gingerbreadcake said...

Wow, homemade vanilla wafers!!! :) Thank you soooo much for the recipe. Your dessert looks fantastic but it looks even more incredible with homemade vanilla wafers.

Jennifurla said...

This looks great, and I love it in the glass

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

now that just looks delightful!

Monet said...

This sounds and looks even better than banana pudding...which is saying a lot! I imagine that the sweetness of the wafers and the custard paired wonderfully with the tart berries!

homeage said...

Looks very tasty, yum! :)

alessandra said...

Mmmm, I can imagine!

ravienomnoms said...

Oh my how yummy! Beautiful custard parfaits!

katerina said...

These are the small miracles a resourceful mind can do. It looks very sweet!

Susi said...

I'm with your engineer on these, how could I get my tongue all the way down the glass! They look scrumptious and since I have some Bird's custard in my pantry I'm making this, of course with your recipe for the vanilla wafers! My vote is in for you :o)

alicia said...

Yummy! This sounds like a fun treat to try. Thanks for sharing and linkin to tasty tuesdays.

Country Gal said...

I love it when an idea morphs into something else! This looks really good!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Those are absolutely georgeous! :) YUM!

Bev said...

Love to see that kind of resourceful use of ingredients!

DORCAS said...

YUMMO!! Will do this for sure! Thanks for sharing!
~Dorcas
http://4sweetangels.blogspot.com/

newlywed said...

This looks GREAT! I love marshamllow anything :)

Martha (MM) said...

These would make a great dessert item for Tailgating Times! :-)

Joanne said...

Way to make do with what you had on hand! I have a box of instant tapioca sitting here...do I see an instant tapioca raspberry parfait in my future!!!

Pacheco Patty said...

This looks wonderful:) Good luck in the blog challenge!

Drick said...

what an easy and delightful dessert - love the ease of it ... voted

Emily Malloy said...

Um. YUM?!?!?!?

Claudia said...

I love your mixing and matching to make good use of ingredients whose time may soon be over. All is luscious! Voted! Best of luck!

danasfoodforthought said...

What a delicious creation! I love how creative you are, and that you're not afraid to take risks and try something new :)

Sue said...

Sounds tasty and looks so pretty!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.