Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Plum Apple Butter


We had a great harvest from our plum tree this year.  It's a Santa Rosa plum tree.  They are so delicious, but we really couldn't eat all of them.  I cooked up half of the remaining plums, pureed and froze them.  I liked the idea of a pseudo apple sauce...a plum sauce.  It was very tasty with the addition of some sweetener.  I used stevia, my family would prefer brown sugar.  Either way, it will probably end up in a cake.

The remaining plums were combined with an equal amount of apples and some spices and then simmered down to a thick fruit butter consistency.  I bottled it as you can see in the picture.   It will do well on peanut butter sandwiches as well as on roasts or in yeast rolls.  With the eight or nine bottles I ended up with, the possibilities are endless.

Apple Plum Butter
3 pounds plums, cut in half and pitted
3 pounds apples, peeled and cored
3 1/2 cups apple juice
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground allspice
In a large pot, simmer plums and apples in apple juice until cooked.  Either use an immersion blender to puree all of the fruit in the pan, or let it cool and ladle it into a food processor a bit at a time and puree it that way.  Return it to the pot.  Add the spices and simmer until reaches the desired consistency.  Put it in clean jars with lids and use a boiling bath to process...20 minutes.


24 comments:

Monet said...

I adore apple butter, and this is such a creative variety. Now I need to track down some local apples and plums. And then bake a warm loaf of bread to go with this. Thanks for sharing...and you have my vote!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

I so wanted to make apple butter this year, but unfortunately our tree didn't yield many apples. I guess I may just have to go buy apples instead. This looks yummy!

Beth said...

Your apple plum butter looks so good. I used to love apple butter when I was a kid, but I haven't eaten it in years. I'll have to try it again!

katerina said...

This is even better than marmalade. I would love to have a jar.

Lisa said...

Wow, this looks amazing! I love apple butter but I've never even thought about making my own. Maybe one day!

Jacqueline said...

I have a lot of apples this year so this would be just great. I have never made apple butter but I love it. This year may be a first. I can just imagine it on homemade bread - the question is how to not eat the whole loaf!

Belinda said...

You're so lucky to have plum trees. This could make a few great tea times.

Miz Helen said...

What a great combination. Our family would love this. I can almost taste it.
Thank you...

Joy said...

I love apple butter.

Sue said...

You are always so industrious whipping up something tasty!

Emily Malloy said...

I heart you for this recipe!

Reeni said...

I like the sound of apple butter with plums! Delicious!

Danelle said...

Yum! Apple and plum sounds like such a delicious combination.

homeage said...

It's breakfast time here, but I am already imaginiing that on a roaqst. Yum!!

danasfoodforthought said...

I first tried apple butter from an Amish market, and absolutely loved it!! This version sounds great :)

Ricki said...

What a great recipe! I just discovered fresh plum "butter" and love it--I think the addition of apples is smashing. And this would also be a perfect contribution to the SOS Kitchen Challenge--key ingredient is apples! Hope you enter. :)

Drick said...

I need this for biscuits in the morning ....

alicia said...

Oh my. How lucky are you? Hubs would love this. If only we had plums. Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking up to tasty tuesdays.

baking.serendipity said...

Jealous of your plum tree and this delicious apple plum butter :)

Mother Rimmy said...

I can just picture this with my favorite pork chops. Delicious!

Chef Dennis said...

I love apple butter, I never thought of mixing any other fruit into it, plums sound like a great addition!

jana@cherryteacakes.com said...

mmm. this sounds wonderful! apples and plums? fantastic!

Whimsical Creations said...

Oh my!! This sounds sooo delicious!

The Mom Chef said...

I've made plum jam and apple butter but never even thought of combining the two in some way. It's kind of like the peanut butter meeting chocolate. What a great idea.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.