Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Old Fashioned Blueberry Muffins

Long ago, before the warehouse store came into being, indoctrinating the world with it's 6 inch cake based muffins, there was such a thing as a barely sweet muffin that accompanied dinner.  Plain, filled with fruit or nuts, these muffins were like biscuits or rolls served with butter.
This recipe originally came from an old New England cookbook published in the first half of the twentieth century.  There is only 1/3 cup sugar for 12 muffins.  I went looking through some other blueberry muffin recipes on sites like Food Network, Martha Stewart and Allrecipes.  For the same 12 muffins, their recipes called for 3/4 to 1 1/4 cups of sugar!!!  It's amazing how much our collective tastes have sweetened in 70 years!!

So, if you make these, expect something a little different.  Expect the fruit flavor to shine through.  Expect more of a dinner roll than a breakfast treat.  These taste great for breakfast, but not as your usual sweet, cake-like muffin.  Substitute raisins, dried fruit, nuts or anything else you can think of in place of the blueberries.


 Blueberry Muffins:
1/4 cup melted butter
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbls baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg , beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup fresh or thawed blueberries
Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowlCombine milk and eggs in another, then blend in melted butter.  At this point, the recipe says to make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet and stir for no more than 25 strokes. I counted and frankly, I just couldn't do in in 25. I stirred for more like 30 strokes. Anyway, after it is moist, lumpy and mostly incorporated, fold in the blueberries. Scoop into 12 greased muffin tins. Bake 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
Tasty Tuesdays (another one!)

27 comments:

Monet said...

Isn't it amazing how much our collective tastes have changed? We would all be a lot healthier if we were used to muffins like these! They look delicious, and I love that they don't have a ton of sugar!

katerina said...

I prefer this version with the less amount of sugar. You can always add more sweet fruits that will add to flavor. Great recipe.

Angie's Recipes said...

Beautifully baked muffins! It would be great to enjoy them with a pot of fresh brewed tea for the breakfast!

E said...

I love homemade muffins. In my opinion you can't beat them. Plus, they are preservative free! Blueberry is a favorite...

The Muehli's said...

My mom always used to warm up blueberry muffins just a little bit in the microwave and spread some butter on them...pure heaven! And if you've got the butter flavor, you don't miss the sugar as much. My hubby is a sugar bug, though, so he just loves them sweet. No microwave or butter at work either :)

Thanks for sharing this. The next time I have fresh blueberries in the fridge I'll have to try it. It's amazing how much better blueberries taste when they're not out of the freezer!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

OOoh, blueberry muffins! My fave! :) These sound delish!

Thank you for sharing! :)
Sherry

21st Century Housewife© said...

I love traditional recipes - thank you for sharing this one. It sounds delicious.

I often cut back on the amount of sugar used in muffin recipes these days as it just seems like so much, and they always turn out really tasty. The scary thing is, I'm often "cutting back" to about three quarters of a cup because the recipes usually call for so much more!

Brenda said...

Do we ever tire of blueberry muffins? These look good!

danasfoodforthought said...

I love muffins that aren't overly sweet. I bet the blueberries make this plenty sweet and you don't miss the extra sugar at all. Sounds great!

Joanne said...

I'm pretty sure that I would prefer these infinitely more than the crazy sweet variety! I love fruit to steal the show in my desserts.

Chef Dennis said...

I really think when we add so much sugar to baked goods that you no longer taste the baked good, just sugar.. I bet those muffins tasted great without the exrta sugar!

Indie.Tea said...

It looks and sounds delicious. I don't like my desserts to be overly sweet either, and I almost always reduce the amount of sugar from the 'original' recipe if I'm following a recipe.

SnoWhite said...

we used to have dinner muffins all the time growing up -- these look great!

Sue said...

I like that the sweetness factor is reduced. You can probably taste the blueberries better!

Burp and Slurp~! said...

The amount of sugar probably increased bc we eat muffins as desserts now...instead of a side dish for breakfast. Or we eat just the muffin as a quick breakfast on the go...but yes, our taste for sweetness has definitely grown over the years!

megan said...

These muffins look just like what my aunt used to make every sunday for dinner after church! Yum, they look so good!

ravienomnoms said...

I like this recipe! I love blueberry muffins, by far my favorite kind of muffin!

Amy said...

I like that there is less sugar, and I think Americans could stand to develop a taste for using less in baked goods! I am sure these were wonderful!

Elin said...

Kristen...great blueberry muffins. Over here blueberries are very expensive...200 grammes for RM 11 :(

Susi said...

I tend to like baked goods with less sugar so much more! This way the fruit is the star of the muffin. These look great :o)

Debbie said...

Wow! That is a huge increase in sugar. I always cut the sugar down in muffin recipes but even I don't cut it down that far. I'll have to try it.

Emily Malloy said...

I love this recipe! It is AMAZING to see the disparity in the sugar content!

Kim Kelly said...

I love old fashioned recipes! I have just a couple that are over 50+ years, they always work.

Miranda Rommel said...

Yum - these sound delicious. I may have to try something like this.
When i lived in Australia i found an old recipe for 'savory muffins'. not quite corn muffins, but not sweet muffins filled with various veggies. SOO GOOD.

Pacheco Patty said...

It's true people's tastes have changed but I like a good muffin that goes with dinner instead of bread, call me old fashioned but that's what I like. If the blueberries are sweet,who needs all that extra sugar? Thanks for the recipe:)

The Mom Chef said...

I'm trying to decide what I think about a not-as-sweet fruit-filled muffin. I guess it would require very good fruit. :)

Its A Blog Party said...

Yum!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.