Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Cream of Tomato Bacon Soup

Remember those tomatoes I said were sitting on my counter?  The ones who were waiting, rather impatiently, to become something...anything, in fact, other than the pile of rotten tomatoes that my procrastination was leading them to?  Well, they became soup.  Quite a luscious soup, I might add.  

I wanted a really hearty soup, thick and creamy, but with chunks of something to make it more of a meal.  I started out using my grandmother's old chinois on the tomatoes, but didn't like how thin the soup was looking, so the last half of the tomatoes I simply peeled and crushed.  In the end, it was a good combination.

Cream of Tomato Bacon Soup
4 pounds fresh tomatoes (I suppose you could use 1/2 canned crushed or diced tomatoes and 1/2 tomato juice ~ about 29 ounces each)
1/4 cup minced dried onion (if you use fresh, saute it in some olive oil first)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 Tbsp honey
1 cup cream (or 1 cup evaporated milk)
slurry of flour & water (about 1/3 cup total)
1 cup bacon cooked, diced before cooking
If starting with fresh tomatoes, blanch them in boiling water and peel.  Add the next 8 ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes uncovered.  Stir periodically to prevent sticking.  (At this point I used an immersion blender to improve the texture). Add the slurry of flour and water, stirring constantly until the soup thickens.  Add the cream and bacon, heat through (but don't boil) and serve immediately.  Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese if desired.


After I made this soup, I realized I could have used a leek instead of the onion...and it would have been a BLT soup.  It's a little corny, but it would taste really good.  If you choose this route, chop it and saute it in some olive oil before adding it to the tomatoes at the beginning of the cooking process.

28 comments:

Chef Dennis said...

Tomato soup with bacon!!! wow, add that cheese into it and just give me the biggest bowl you have in the house!! What a perfect soup, why have I never thought of adding bacon to tomato soup!!

alicia said...

Really? Bacon? Well, anything with bacon has to be delish. Thanks for sharing and linkin up to tasty tuesdays. Can't wait to try it.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, my! This sounds scrumptious!! Love tomato soup, but it has to be over the top with bacon. :)

Sue said...

Oh my, with the bacon added this is over the top! BTW...your ice cream sandwiches look so much more delicious than store-bought:) No contest!

Hannah said...

yumm bacon in tomato soup! Bacon is always a welcome ingredient in my eyes!

Monet said...

I bet the bacon adds a wonderful smokiness and saltiness. This looks so good...I would especially enjoy it with a loaf of freshly made bread. Thanks for sharing!

Cori said...

Your soup screams FALL!! Looks yummy!!

Casey Angelova said...

You had me at bacon. I am actually a member of Bacon fan club on Facebook. The love goes that deep. This will hit the spot!

denizdalya said...

delicious!

katerina said...

Now that the weather has chilled out here this soup is perfect for dinner.

katerina said...

Now that the weather has chilled out here this soup is perfect for dinner.

Jennifurla said...

Oh yes, more please!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Bacon makes everything BETTER! Love this soup!

21st Century Housewife© said...

What a great idea - it sounds delicious. I like the idea of using leeks for a BLT soup as well!

ravienomnoms said...

Yum!! I am just craving tomato soup lately!

Melissa said...

Sounds like a fabulous flavor combination!

Tiffanee said...

YUM!! You had me at bacon! I love the BLT idea! I have been wanting some homemade tomato soup and with the added bacon the family will love it also!! Thanks for sharing.

THE GARDEN CAT COTTAGE said...

I make a fantastic tomato basil soup, the bacon is a fanastic idea. I am adding it next batch I make.

Belinda said...

Uh...by adding bacon, you just raised the bar. Nice.

LDH said...

This looks and sounds so good! Going to copy the recipe! I wish I had some tomatoes on hand right now!

JillyAn said...

I like the new design of your blog Kristin. This soup looks wonderful also...I love tomato soup!

JillyAn said...

I like the new design of your blog Kristin. This soup looks wonderful also...I love tomato soup!

Susi said...

You had me with Bacon :o) This sounds fantastic and the color of the soup is amazing!

Miz Helen said...

Just stopping by from Prairie Story.
I love the Bacon & Tomato combination and will sure try your recipe. Thank You...

Alison said...

Bacon makes everything just a little bit better! 'Tis the season for soup! Thank you for sharing. ~Prairie Story

The Mom Chef said...

As always, this looks fantastic! Great job on using those tomatoes before they were headed for the trash.

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

Love the bacon addition - great soup. Love that slap ya momma seasoning brand - my favorite Cajun place here uses it exclusively.

JennyMac said...

Oh yummy!

Just a quick 'stickler' note. You wrote after the flour
"1 cup cooked, diced before cooking"
I am assuming THAT is the bacon? Just checking....

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.