Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Country Captain's Chicken

A few weeks ago, I was visiting some of my favorite blogs when I ran across a review of a Cook's Illustrated recipe on the Mom Chef's blog.  The recipe was a slow cooker version of Country Captain's Chicken.  I had never heard of it, but it sounded wonderful.   I left a comment saying something about having to Google the recipe and dear Christiane (aka the Mom Chef) emailed me the recipe.  I should probably mention that her blog is all about cooking recipes in food magazines.  This particular recipe, from Cook's Illustrated, wasn't actually on her blog.

Anyway, long story short, I made some homemade Madras curry seasoning to go in the chicken dish and then a few days later, I got out my crock pot and made Country Captain's Chicken.  I used hot pepper jelly instead of chutney, but other than that, I followed the recipe pretty closely.  It was just as good as Christiane said it would be.

This chicken is a traditionally Southern dish.  The story goes that about two hundred years ago, a British ship's captain landed in Savannah, Georgia with this recipe, having spent some years in India.  At the time, Savannah was a center of spice trade, so the Indian spices would have been readily available.   Over time, the recipe  evolved as all do.  Some versions have nuts and raisins in them.  All start with browned chicken simmered in a spicy stew.

I am not at liberty to share the Cook's Illustrated version, as they don't accept advertising and therefore rely solely on subscriptions for recompense for their recipes.
However, here are a few links to some recipes:
Lee Bros. Country Captain Chicken
Epicurious Country Captain Chicken
Rachel Ray's Country Captain Chicken
Crockpot 365 blog's Country Captain Chicken (slow cooker version)

Have you ever made this?  Do you have your own version?

19 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I've heard of it, but I have never tried it. It looks delish!! :)

Joanne said...

The way you describe the ingredients in this dish makes me sure that I would love it. Hot pepper jelly, raisins, all mixed up with savory, meaty chicken...delicious.

alessandra said...

No, never, however I like chicken with rice, and curry.

alessandra said...

Oh, I forgot, looks yummy!

21st Century Housewife© said...

I had not heard of this dish, so thank you for sharing it. There are a lot of curry/Indian inspired dishes served in England and I like them but I don't love them - however the Country Captain Chicken sounds mouthwatering. Finally, my kind of curry recipe!!

katerina said...

It sure looks delicious. I have never heard of this dish before.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels said...

I've heard of it but have never made it. It looks delicious! :)

Drick said...

I have not had this either, researched it once with a few notes and thought of making it to post, but it must be in a file somewhere.... now I don't have to - I will use your recipe, sounds spicy and great

danasfoodforthought said...

Your pic looks great, and those recipes do sound delicious! I'll have to try one for myself!

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Kristen,
The name of this dish is new to me also, but the preparation seems like a great way and the spices are wonderful. I love Indian inspired dishes. And in a crock pot too, oh my! I love my crock pot!

Bon appetit!
CCR
=:~)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've seen the crockpot version of this and it's on my list of things to try!! It looks great, thanks!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh boy does this look good! What time is dinner? :)

Pierce said...

I learn something new all the time - looks great and I liked the story very much!

Belinda said...

Delicious. I LOVE almost anything with hot pepper jelly.

es65 said...

I'm always looking for different ways to cook chicken. Thanks for sharing!

lostpastremembered said...

My late mother-in-law made this dish... hot pepper jully is new to me and a great idea.. nice to find your blog!

Susi said...

I have never heard of this dish before but I'm intrigued! It sounds great :o)

ravienomnoms said...

Great photo and great dish, yum!

Jerri said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for linking up last week for Friday Favorites!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.