Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Newman's Recipes Part Two: the Salads

I realize you could just hop over to the Foodbuzz site to see all of these recipes, but like any proud parent, I am posting the recipes here, too.  Notice that all three salads are in the same bowl.  I am not sure what I was thinking, except that it's a pretty color.  It didn't occur to me that I was being redundant.


This salad was truly inspired.  It is amazing.


Fiesta Pasta Salad 

Ingredients
12 ounce package farfalle or rigatoni pasta
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 jar Newman's Own medium salsa
1 small can sliced black olives
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup mayonnaise
½ tsp salt


  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.

  2. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, cheese, Newman's Own salsa, black olives, cilantro, mayonnaise and salt.

  3. Refrigerate until cold. Note: the flavor gets better the longer you wait until serving.



    Warm Honey Mustard Potato Salad

    Ingredients:
    4 14 ounce cans sliced potatoes, drained and rinsed
    ¼ cup chopped green onion
    ¾ cup pre-cooked bacon, crumbled
    1 cup Newman's Own Light Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp garlic powder
    1 Tbsp dried parsley


    1. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the potatoes, green onion and bacon.

    2. In a small bowl, combine the Newman's Own Light Honey Mustard Vinaigrette , garlic powder and the salt.

    3. Pour the dressing mixture over the potatoes and microwave for 4 minutes or until warmed through, but not hot. Serve.


      Black Bean Salad 

      Ingredients:
      2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
      1 can diced tomatoes, drained
      1 16 ounce package frozen corn, rinsed with warm water to clear any ice
      1 orange bell pepper, diced
      4 green onions, chopped
      3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
      ½ tsp salt
      2/3 cup Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing
      2 small limes
      ½ tsp cumin


      1. In a large bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, corn, bell pepper, green onions and cilantro.

      2. In a smaller bowl, combine salt, dressing, juice of 2 limes and cumin.

      3. Pour dressing mixture over bean mixture. Toss and serve.
      Note: flavors will get better if left in the fridge for half an hour before serving.

10 comments:

Monet said...

A great collection of salads. I've never thought of using salsa in a pasta salad recipe. We are big salsa fans around here (we love Newman's black bean) so I'm sure we would love a salsa infused pasta salad!

fancythatfancythis.com said...

Newman's dressings are the best way to dress up any salad...I love them!

Your blog cracks me up...I love your humor!

katerina said...

I love your salads. They are so colorful and they must be delicious. Regarding Mexican restaurants in Greece, it was not a silly comment. You wouldn't guess that so far away from Mexico, could a country have such restaurants. The truth is that in Athens we do not have one but around seven Mexican restaurants. Some of them are good and some of them are excellent and Greeks especially the younger ones are very familiar with this type of food.

julie said...

You are definitely speaking my language with these salads. I especially love the pasta salad and the black bean salad. Super yum! Congrats on your feature over at Foodbuzz, that's exciting!

Belinda said...

It's still fascinating to me that it's Paul Newman!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Yum! I'm hungry now! Thanks for sharing the recipes!

E said...

That Fiesta Pasta Salad really caught my eye - yummy.... Looks like you've been busy.

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

That black bean salad looks delicious! I might have to try it and add some wheatberries...I think they'd add a fun crunch. Thanks for sharing!

danasfoodforthought said...

Congratulations on being featured on FoodBuzz... very exciting! All of your salads look great, but the fiesta salad looks especially yummy!

Gina said...

Honey mustard in your potato salad! Genius! I love my potato salad recipe, but it feels tired. This is a great, easy way to jazz it up! Thanks.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.