Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Homemade Pizza Rolls: Make Your Own Monday #33



My kids used to be so excited when they'd go play at a friend's house and they'd be served Totino's or Jeno's pizza rolls for snack or dinner.  They aren't something that I buy very often (unless the sale is so good I can't resist, of course) let alone make at home.  We love homemade pizza, but to make those little processed rolls, that seemed a bit crazy.  One day, however, I found an obscure recipe in an obscure cookbook that promised a clone of those processed little bites.  With a bit of tweaking to suit our tastes, this is what I made:
And let me just tell you, these were WAY better than anything you can get in your freezer section.  They were very labor intensive, but they were completely worth the work for a special treat, a New Year's appetizer, a Super Bowl snack or just a meal that doesn't involve a lot of factory made food.

Homemade Pizza Rolls (like Totino's):
1 package won ton wrappers (48 count)
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 pound Italian sausage (I used homemade)
1/2 onion, minced fine
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped fine
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
oil for frying (about 3 cups)
Cook the sausage.  Remove from pan and saute onion and pepper in the drippings. Drain if necessary.  Return the sausage to the pan and add the spaghetti sauce.  Heat through and turn off heat.  Spread out your wrappers on the counter or cutting board.  Get a little bowl of water for your finger and a cooling rack on which to place the assembled pizza rolls.  Put about a teaspoon of filling onto the middle of each wrapper.  Sprinkle a bit of cheese on top.  With your finger wet the left and right edges of the wrappers.  Bring the bottom half up over the filling and seal the edges.  Wet the top edge of the wrapper and bring that half down over the filling and seal the edges and the center seam.  Place on the cooling rack.  When all of the wrappers are filled, heat the oil.  Place a kernel of popcorn into the oil and when it pops, it's ready.  Fry the pizza rolls until golden brown on each side.  Drain, cool and eat.

Note: I had quite a bit of filling left over.  It means I will either be buying more wrappers this week, or I am going to put it on a bun for a great sandwich.



Note: I think you could probably freeze these before you fry them.  However, I have not tried it and make no guarantees.

24 comments:

Belinda said...

Won ton wrappers - an easy solution - nice crunch too.

tahtimbo said...

I have never worked with Won Ton wrappers before, but from your instructions, they don't seem too hard to work with. Since you get so many, I'm hoping that you can store these in the freezer?
Also, that's a great idea on how to check whether the oil is ready or not...I would have never thought of using a popcorn kernel.
Thank you for the recipe!

Monet said...

What a great idea! I would have never thought of using wonton wrappers for pizza rolls. They seem like an easy and delicious week night meal.

chayacomfycook said...

You have just proven the value of wonton wrappers. I think Chinese but why not for pizza wraps. I can have fun with this. Thanks.

es65 said...

They sound like a fun appetizer or snack to whip up!

Joanne said...

These look way better than those little greasy frozen things! Delicious.

Rachel said...

We make these all the time and I've never thought of using wonton wrappers! BRILLIANT!!!

ravienomnoms said...

Oh what a great idea!!! I just adore it, they look delicious!

lemonsandanchovies said...

Neat! I bet your kids were happy. I would say these are definitely better than the store bought kind, especially with your homemade sausage!

alessandra said...

Sound delicious!

Debbie said...

Very interesting! My husband loves pizza rolls so this will be perfect for dinner one night. What are your thoughts on baking them?

katerina said...

These are great for a light meal before bedtime. I love the ingredients you use.

Kim Kelly said...

A perfect after school treat!!!

BakingWithoutaBox said...

How cool! I love the wonton wrappers and the popcorn trick! We'll be stuffing pepperoni in ours. Thanks so much!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Yummy! Yummy! :D

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

These look scrumptious. Our minds must be in the same place - I made homemade pizza today for my post also.

21st Century Housewife© said...

I love the idea of using wonton wrappers for a crispy coating. The whole recipe sounds just delicious!!

Letters From Home said...

I'm going to have to go get won ton wrappers and give this a try. Sounds good and pretty easy to make.

Self Sagacity said...

wow, that looks so good. Your family is so lucky to have such a great cook in the house.

The Mom Chef said...

I love it! I don't buy them either, but my daughter loves this kind of thing. To know what's gone into them is worth the amount of work it takes. Thanks so much for passing it along.

yvettel said...

Can these be frozen once they are assembled? Freeze prior to cooking or after?

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've made things like this and they are awesome! I love your pictures! Thanks!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

A labor of love, they look great!

Keri said...

Wow. I don't know why I torture myself like this. I'm on a 3 day cardiac diet but yet, I sit and look at food blogs knowing i can't cook right now. OMg.. but when the day after comes I will be trying these!!!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.