Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Homemade Oreos: Make Your Own Monday #34


I have had so called "homemade Oreo" cookies before.  Usually they resemble a Whoopie Pie more than an actual Oreo.  The cookies are soft, the middle is marshmallow-like.  So, when I decided to recreate an Oreo at home, I went after a crunchy cookie first and a sadly Crisco like filling next, because that's what the quintessential Oreo is.  My first batch didn't bake long enough and was too soft.  The reviews from my family ranged from, "Tastes like a brownie," "It's good, but it's definitely not an Oreo," and my personal favorite, "Are you sure this isn't gingerbread?"  Yeah, that taster's credibility went in the toilet with that remark.

With the second and third batches, however, all of my kids finally got on board and declared these cookies as good or better than the store variety.  My husband, the die-hard Oreo eater, was never convinced.  Having given you the honest opinions of my family, I give you my version of Oreo cookies: 


The Cookies:

2 1/4 cups flour, all-purpose
1/4 cup cornstarch
6 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar, white
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup milk, any kind
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl.  In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar.  Combine the milk and vanilla and add alternately with the dry ingredients.  Mix until well blended.  On plastic wrap (you may want to divide the dough into parts) roll the dough into a 1 1/2 inch diameter log.  Wrap with plastic and freeze an hour or until really firm.  Cut ¼ inch thick circles and place on cookie sheet.  Return unused dough to the freezer until the next batch.  Bake  at a preheated 375 for 13-15 minutes or until crispy.  Cool on a wire rack until completely cooled.


For the Filling:

1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
3 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat butter and shortening with powdered sugar.  Add the vanilla a teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.  Place in a small Ziploc bag and cut off the corner.  Piping the filling onto the cookies made it really easy!


Make It from Scratch Thursday




19 comments:

Monet said...

I have made home made oreos too...and we love them! One of my husband's friends requests them EVERY time he comes over...if only they were super easy to make!

Belinda said...

All I need is a tall glass of milk. Why bother buying cookies when you get the real thing at home?

Domestic Nerd said...

I love the idea, so I think I'll use your recipe & tweak it a bit so I don't have to include shortening...maybe a whoopie pie filling??? Thanks! I love your "Make Your Own Monday" posts :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've never made these!!! Oreo's totally rock! Maybe I could convince myself that these are somewhat healthy??

katerina said...

I will keep this recipe. It has all the right ingredients to become a big hit in my family.

21st Century Housewife© said...

What a delicious idea! Plus, your homemade Oreos contain none of the preservatives or other not so great ingredients store bought Oreos have so they must be lots better for you too (and I'm sure they taste better too!).

Drick said...

I know I will prefer these over oreos - makes you wonder how they get a cookie so black....

Martha said...

I tried making Oreo cookies this summer and learned a thing or two about parchment paper. (It's slippery stuff..) I decided that if we want Oreos, I'll probably just buy a generic band. They weren't a big enough hit to warrant the trouble. I would, however, like a bite of one of yours. :)

shopannies said...

my mother in law has made these before and they are delicious

danasfoodforthought said...

Oreos or not, these look tasty!! AND I can identify all of the ingredients!

Allie and Pattie said...

Okay Kristen, you're on! Timmy is our die-hard Oreo eater. I'll have him try these out! LOL
xoxo Pattie

Squeaky Gourmet said...

wow--these look good enough to eat--ALL OF THEM!!

May Ling Wu said...

These look amazing!!! Oreo's are my favorite cookie so gotta try these !

Pacheco Patty said...

Sounds like a fun family project, I'm sure they're way better than store bought!

Joy said...

Oh yours looks great. I made this about a year ago and it was a huge hit. My brother kept hiding them so no one would eat the stash.

es65 said...

I've been craving cookies lately. Those look like they might satisfy my craving!

The Mom Chef said...

Hmmm, these do look good, but we so rarely eat Oreos anyhow. but, as a big treat...oh yeah!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

I always look forward to your "make your own monday." I had my own MYOM today and will post next week! The oreos look amazing!

brandt! said...

Definitely i will try this one!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.