Sunday, July 11, 2010

Homemade Corn Tortillas and a Marinade, too: Make Your Own Monday #27

There is nothing like a homemade tortilla.  We have a tortilla "factory" in our little town (which is to say, there is a tiny store front where a Latin family slaves in the Arizona heat six days a week to make fresh tortillas).  Those corn tortillas are scrumptious!  They make flour tortillas, too, but not often, so they are not fresh and not worth buying.  Corn tortillas are incredibly easy to make at home.  All you have to do is buy a bag of Masa Harina and add water.
(Quaker makes it, so it shouldn't be hard to find in most places in the USA.)
For those of us who only make tortillas once in a while, a tortilla press is a must.  Even with one, you aren't guaranteed to get your tortillas the right thickness, but you have a much better shot than if you are making them by hand.  Look in second hand stores for a tortilla press.

Notice I have put plastic wrap on the top and bottom of the press.  Without it, you will have a very large, very frustrating mess.  

Corn Tortillas: 
2 cups masa harina (Note: you can grind your own corn, but it has too be super fine.)
1 1/3 cups warm water
Mix the masa and water together in a bowl until a smooth dough forms.
(Obviously, I was too anxious to take the picture.  This dough is not ready yet)

(These are more like it.  Form your dough into balls the size of a swollen walnut ~ is that a golf ball?)
Use your tortilla press or a rolling pin and flatten them out.  Cook them in a hot,dry skillet or griddle until brown on both sides (about 5 minutes each side)
 I served these open-faced with sliced grilled milanesa style beef (look below for the marinade), shredded cabbage, salsa, cheese and sour cream.  They were delicious.  This is a really cheap way to make tortillas.  

For a special treat, watch this video to see tortillas being made by hand: 

Here is a link to my favorite flour tortilla recipe.  They are a lot harder to make.  Mine usually come out looking like "Son of the Blob."  They taste really good, though.

Southwest Beef Marinade
1 can beer (I used Old Milwaukee NA ((non-alcoholic)))
1-2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp dried oregano
juice of 3 limes
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup olive oil
Mix all ingredients and marinate beef for 1 hour minimum.  Grill.

Milanesa style beef is super thin, super lean beef.  I got mine at a local Latin market.  You could easily just use chunks of beef for kebabs or regular steaks.

Make It From Scratch


Danelle said...

I always see recipes for flour tortillas, but never corn, and they are my favorite. Thanks for sharing!

Kathy Gori said...

Looks great!Excellent coverage.

Jeanette said...

I bet they are tasty but I would never put the time in them. I have enjoyed your blog so many times. Thank you for stopping by mine today.

Joanne said...

I am SO impressed by your homemade tortillas! They look fantastic. And the marinade on that beef...super delicious.

Miranda Rommel said...

I always make our own tortillas as well. I've played with the recipe though and usually use about 3/4 masa and 1/4 ww flour plus a little olive oil to keep it all together (a VERY little bit!). They're really delicious, and a bit more stretchy than corn only tortillas.

JillyAn said...

I was just wondering what to make for dinner tonight and now I have a taste for these wonderful tortillas. I may be making a spicy shredded chicken to fill them! Thanks for sharing.

Peggy said...

It really is so easy to make corn tortillas! I've always done it by hand, but I think I probably should invest in a tortilla press one of these days!

Drick said...

I love to make my own tortillas and yes, a press in a must ...the marinade sounds wonderful, will have to try it, but with a real beer, don't have the other in the house...

Sue Sparks said...

My grandma used to make homemade flour tortillas! They were the best! Great post!

katerina said...

Hi Kristen, first time visiting your blog. I love tortillas and yours look great.

Belinda said...

Delicious! I don't have a press and always struggle to make them thin.

Mother Rimmy said...

I'm impressed. I adore corn tortillas, but have never tried to make them myself.

Rea said...

I started following your blog after finding your "Make your Own Monday's" I moved from Arizona and miss it everyday! I can't wait to try your Marinade!

PS. I hope you don't mind, I put a link to your site from my blog.


I have NEVER tried this--I'm not sure why! A latina friend of mine always hounds me about it. Will have to try!

The Mom Chef said...

I have to admit being a flour tortilla fan, but fresh made look so good!

bonnie said...

great recipe, we are lucky they sell homemade freshly ground masa where we are currently living


baking.serendipity said...

Yummmmm. I've never made homemade tortillas, but what a great Arizona recipe!

Christy said...

I make the flour ones - am intimidated by the press - why is it so tricky to roll them out??

Steve said...

There is no substitute for homemade. The press makes all the difference.

Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior said...

My best friend, Yaya, taught me how to make tortillas. I just THOUGHT when you made them they came out perfectly round. HORRORS! Yaya said, "They NEVER come out round. Sometimes, mine take on the shape of Texas." Mine look more like the state of Florida! I need to get a tortilla press. For YEARS I didn't know what an authentic tortilla tasted like. I will NEVER buy a tortilla from a store -- UNLESS they're freshly made by a Mom and Pop business. I mean, mamá y papá! Thank you for the corn tortilla recipe -- I've only made flour.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.