Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Lemon Blueberry Pie


About ten days ago, I got a graham cracker crust out of the pantry, intending to make some kind of summery no-bake pie.  That darned pie crust just sat there and the longer I didn't make a pie, the more it mocked me.  I would clear off the counter and there it would be, "Hi Kristen, remember me?  You were going to make a pie for your family.  You haven't made anything all week.  Don't you feel horrible?!"  You have never felt guilt until a store bought pie crust has mocked you.

I finally decided enough was enough.  I opened the freezer and there was some lemonade.  I haven't ever made a lemonade pie, but I know you can.  I looked up a couple of recipes, but they all took cool whip and I only had whipping cream.   Because of my secret fear that my whipped cream will become butter, I never seem to whip it quite enough, so I knew any pie with a cool whip base wouldn't work with my sadly droopy whipped cream. (What I really need is one of those cream whipper gun type things with the cartridges!)

So, after finding a recipe that took lemon juice, not lemonade and heavy cream, not cool whip, I tweaked it and got this pie.  It practically throws itself together in about 15 minutes, but plan ahead; it needs to be refrigerated for a few hours before serving. 

 

Lemon Blueberry Pie:(adapted from a Taste of Home recipe)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 9 inch graham cracker crust
1 can blueberry pie filling
In a bowl, combine the condensed milk, lemon juice and vanilla.  Stir for a few minutes until well combined.  In a separate bowl, beat the cream until thick.  Fold into the lemon juice mixture and pour into the pie crust.  Refrigerate for about 10 minutes and then spoon the pie filling on top.  Refrigerate for 2 hours or more and then serve.


24 comments:

JG said...

The description Yummy comes to mind really fast while looking at your photo.

Belinda said...

What a wonderful, refreshing, summer combination!

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Oh, YUMM-O!! Lemon & blueberry is like peanut butter and jelly...made for each other :)

Blessings!
Gail

Jennifurla said...

Oh what a lovely lovely pie, love that the pie crust was mocking you!

SnoWhite said...

I love blueberry and lemon -- this looks delightful and refreshing. thanks!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

OH MY GOSH!! I cannot explain to you how much I LOVE blueberry pie. SO, I feel like a dog, salivating, with my tongue sticking out at your pie. I'm just sayin'.
Thanks for linking to TMTT.

Monet said...

Delicious! What an easy summer pie. This would be great over 4th of July weekend.
http://anecdotesandapples.weebly.com

Joanne said...

That filling looks thick, tangy, and delicious!

I used to underwhip my cream also and then I realized that there's a wide range between whipped cream and butter and hopefully I could manage to stop somewhere in between. And if I mess up...then at least I have something to put on my bagels!

Brenda said...

Wow, that looks pretty amazing. We've been into all things blueberry this year.

Pacheco Patty said...

Great idea for a cool summer pie, don't let that store bought pie crust mock you, give it a time out, you're the boss!

Tracy F. said...

This looks so YUMMY! I found you on Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday and am now your latest follower.

21st Century Housewife© said...

Lemons and blueberries are such a lovely combination, and the photo of the pie looks scrumptious! What a great recipe!

Just Food Snobs said...

How easy and delicious! This is a perfect dessert for the upcoming
4th of July weekend!

Megan said...

I want that whipped cream gun thing too!

Thanks for leaving a comment on my KAF giveaway. I did see that bun pan, and I really want it, not to make hotdog buns, but to make that bun cake thing! Looks delicious.

she's cookin' said...

Absolutely love anything with lemon and this looks delicious and simple enough to make for a houseful of people celebrating the 4th of July!

Shree said...

yummmmm lemons and blueberries. such a classic combination. I like your recipe too.

Jen said...

yummmm. i havent had these pies in awhile! the blueberry looks deliciously good!

jen @ www.passion4food.ca

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

This totally looks heavenly!! Thanks!

Drick said...

you are so funny - me, the cool whip would do in a flash but this would be so much better......

Forgetfulone said...

Oh my! That looks and sounds delicious.

Le said...

yummmmmmmmmmm

Jacqueline said...

Anything lemony and cool is so refreshing in the summer. I love, love love lemon. We will have to try this. I like whipped cream better anyway, although it is probably a lot worse for me. But hey, it's dessert, right! Thanks for sharing on TMTT.

Magic of Spice said...

Wow...I like it! Great photos too:)

Its A Blog Party said...

Wow! That looks amazing! Super tasty!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.