Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Homemade Peanut Butter: Make Your Own Monday #18

Before I moved, my local Kroger owned grocery store had Adam's peanut butter on sale for $1.25 per jar.  I couldn't pass up the sale, even though I was in the middle of packing.  Well, it's all gone now.  I really tried to make it last, but I am weak when it comes to peanut butter.  Anyway, I decided to try making some of my own.  It may not be the most cost effective thing to make, but I never pass up an opportunity to learn a life skill.  Who knows, maybe some unknown relative will leave me 100 pounds of peanuts in their will!

Ya, that isn't gonna happen, but I will be ready if it does!!!


Homemade Peanut Butter: 
3 cups chopped peanuts
2 Tbsp oil (preferable peanut)
salt, if desired
In a food processor, blend the peanuts until they form a paste.  Add enough oil (while the blade is running) to make a spreadable consistency.  Add salt, if desired.


Store in the refrigerator.  

Make It From Scratch 

11 comments:

Belinda said...

Ooo - yummy! Why bother buying when this is the real thing?

Michelle said...

We make our own pb with honey roasted nuts and our Vita Mix Blender. No oil needed, but gives you a smidge of sweet. I love homemade PB!!!

Sarah said...

my husband and I were talking about making our own the other day!! we usually buy Smuckers Natural and add local honey to it ! maybe now when we make our own we will do that(I love honey peanut butter!) it goes great with my canned jams!

tahtimbo said...

Okay, this is a great excuse for finally breaking down and buying a food processor. We go through peanut butter like its going out of style, so I would love to start making our own and experimenting with adding different things.
Thank you for the recipe :)

jehara said...

Thanks for sharing! It sounds easy enough. Will definitely have to try this one out. :)

Shree said...

That's it? WOW thats so easy. Makes me wonder why I've been buying PB at the store.... Thanks for sharing the recipe... and I'm sure you'll get a big peanut inheritance :)))

Carol Egbert said...

I'm trying to make pantry basics and hadn't thought of making peanut butter. Thanks for the nudge.

DarcyLee said...

This sounds so good and easy, too. Thanks for sharing this.

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

When I was little gramps used to take me down to the farmer's market in Los Angeles and my favorite vendor was the homemade peanut butter, well short of the guy who made the salt water taffy. Thanks for the recipe to bring back memories!

rainbowcreek said...

You're right this might not be a money saver, but it sure could come in handy in a pinch. My DH eats PB&J's every day for the last 30 years and fixes them for the DGK's almost every day. He is worried that we are going to run out of jam soon, down to 6 pints and store bought will never do here!

Emily Malloy (formerly Ziegler) said...

So simple! I love everything homemade, including this recipe!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.