Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Steamed Pudding: Daring Bakers April Challenge

When I casually mentioned that the April Daring Bakers' challenge was steamed suet pudding, my mom got that nostalgic look on her face and said how much she loved steamed puddings.  When her mom (my grandmother) ran the restaurant (out of their home) in the 1950s, she would often serve steamed puddings for dessert.  She would make little individual ones as well as bigger table sized cakes.  Mom started telling me about this great recipe that she had in one of Mamie's old cookbooks.  We looked everywhere, but couldn't find that certain cookbook.  Instead, I simply used one of the suggested recipes Daring Bakers' gave us in their forum.  This particular recipe used ounces instead of cups, so I had to dig out a kitchen scale and rig up a paper plate to hold the ingredients.  It was quite an adventure in baking.

We happened to have one of Mamie's old steam pudding molds, complete with lid.  I put it into one of the very largest pasta pots in my kitchen and boiled it for 2 1/2 hours.  When it was done, I opened a jar of hard sauce from our pantry and gave Mom a slice.  It was fun to see her eyes close as she was transported back to her childhood with one bite.

Steamed Pudding: 
4 ounces flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
4 ounces graham cracker crumbs
3 ounces sugar
3 ounces lard (couldn't find suet in Podunk, AZ)
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
3 ounces chopped dates
3 ounces golden raisins
Combine sugar, lard and graham crumbs with mixer.  Add egg.  Combine dry ingredients and add.  Moisten with milk.  Fold in dates and raisins.  Pour into a very well greased and floured mold/pan/bowl and cover with parchment secured with a rubber band.  Place in a steamer or a pasta insert over at least 3 inches of water.  Cover and steam for 2 1/2 hours.  Make sure your pot doesn't boil dry!!!

Serve with whipped cream, ice cream or hard sauce.

5 comments:

Audax said...

Love the story about your mum and grandmother and wonderful that you could find the old pudding basin. Lovely photograph of the final pudding. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

bonnie said...

I loved your story, my mom used to tell me how they would go out to eat with her family but the diner was in someone's home--she said it always made you feel so special like if they had invited you over to dinner..cute post..steamed pudding sounds so good right now..

sweetlife

Emily Ziegler said...

This looks so delish!

Sue Sparks said...

Beautiful pudding! I keep lamenting that I didn't top mine off with a sauce. Next time!

Carol Egbert said...

A great combination - a grandmother, a mother and lard. Well done. Thanks

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.