Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Raisin Quick Bread: Recipes from Long Ago

Usually when I think of a raisin bread, I think of a yeast bread that takes a few hours to knead, rise, form, rise and bake.  This recipe, found in a vintage Sun-Maid raisin ad, circa 1940,  is a quick bread that stirs together in about 5 minutes.  It does take 90 minutes to  bake, but that is time that I can be doing other things.  You will notice right off that there is no fat in this.  It makes a dense, sweet dessert bread.  Very unusual, but very delicious; especially with a slab of butter spread on top.  Add nuts if you want (about 1/2 cup); pecans or walnuts would be great.

Raisin Quick Bread:
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup raisins
Wash raisins and drain.  Beat egg, add milk, sugar and mix together.  Combine with flour sifted with baking powder and salt (aka combine dry ingredients and add).  Add raisins and beat thoroughly.  Spread in a greased, paper-lined bread pan.  Bake 1 1/2 hours at 300 degrees.

 

Also found in the ad:
Raisin Jellied Salad (which I did not try and am not sure that I ever would)
1 package lemon flavored gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 cup raisins
2 Tbsp finely cut green chili pepper
1/2 cup finely sliced celery
3 slices pineapple
Pour boiling water over gelatin and stir until dissolved.  Add raisins and allow mixture to begin to set.  Add chili pepper, celery and pineapple cut into pieces.  Mix thoroughly.  pour into individual moils and chill.  Unmold on lettuce - garnish with mayonaise.



5 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Oh I love looking at those old vintage recipes. I have a stash of old ommunity cookbooks that I go through periodically and there are some real gems in there. The bread looks lovely!
xoxo Pattie

La Tempête said...

I have this in the oven as I type! Will let you know how it works out for me. Thanks for the recipe!!!

La Tempête said...

DELICIOUS!

A Year on the Grill said...

ready for breakfast!

bj said...

Sounds really good..wonder how it would work with Splenda instead of sugar? Might give it a try..

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.