Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Homemade Granola Cereal: Make Your Own Monday #8


When I was pregnant with Princess Pat, I fell in love with Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola cereal.  I could have eaten that stuff every morning and never gotten sick of it.  It was expensive, though, so I only ate it when I was feeling splurgy (I may have made that word up).  A few months ago, I tried it again and darn it, if they hadn't changed the recipe slightly and put way less cereal in the package.  I had to come up with my own version.
 
 Here is what I did:
4 cups oats (quick or old fashioned)
2 cups coconut
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp whole flax seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
2 cups chopped dried fruit (optional)
Combine the oats, coconut, almonds, oil and honey.  Spread on a greased jelly roll pan and bake 300 degrees for 45 minutes (or until crispy), bringing it out half way to toss/stir.  Let cool on the pan, then add seeds and fruit as wanted.  Store in a Tupperware type container.
 
This made wonderful yogurt parfaits and was great plain with milk.

Make It From Scratch Carnival
Real Food Wednesday

7 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

I'm pretty sure splurgy is in our dictionary- I use it all the time :) Love the recipe!
xoxo Pattie

Autumn Living said...

This looks so yummy!!! I only wish my precious daughters loved coconut as much as I do.

Miranda Rommel said...

Looks like it's the Granola time of year.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

What a great combination! Looks like it would be so delicious and it's so healthy, too. :-)

Shirley

Quirky Momma said...

Yummy!!! Thanks for the great recipe!

Lori said...

Mmmmm.....your granola recipe looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Alison said...

This looks fabulous! Adding pumpkin seeds to my grocery list...

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.