Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sweet & Sour Chicken

Allow me to introduce you to one of my favorite appliances: the electric pressure cooker.  It is my favorite way to cook rice.  I can even make risotto in this and I never have to stand over the stove pouring and stirring, pouring and stirring.  I got this little baby at Target when they were clearing them out.  I didn't know what a gem I was purchasing.  I use it to cook meat, other grains, and vegetables.  It also has a wonderful entertainment factor.  There is a big gray button on top lets the steam out.  My sons all love to push that button as it cools down.  You can see some models here.

So, tonight The Comedian and The Engineer helped me make dinner.  The Engineer fizzled out after we dredged the chicken in cornstarch.  I think he was a little grossed out by the raw meat. The Comedian then took over and stayed with me all the way to serving the food.  (with his ADHD, that is a huge thing!)

The recipe:
1 1/2 pounds cubed boneless chicken
3/4 cup cornstarch
2 cups oil
1 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 Tbls cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
onions, peppers, pineapple as desired

Dredge the chicken in the cornstarch and fry in the oil

For the sauce, mix the water, sugar, ketchup and vinegar in a saucepan.  When it boils, add the cornstarch/water mixture.  Stir until it thickens. 
If you want to add the onions, peppers and/or pineapple, cook the onions and peppers first.  Add it to the sauce or serve it on the side.  Serve it all with rice.

We are back to school this week (YIPEE), so lunches won't be planned.  Really, it wasn't a bad week.  We all slept in until 6:30am, we explored the newly opened, wonderfully stocked, brand new library, we did chores, we read books, we played games, we watched movies and we relaxed.  What more can we ask from a week off from school?

Breakfasts:
Breakfast Sandwiches (sausage pattie, egg, cheese on a sesame seed bun)
Probably these Muffins
PB Toast
Donuts (found a sale and froze them!)
Cold Cereal

Dinners:
Pot Roast and all the trimmings
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Beans with Cornbread
Hot Dogs
BBQ chicken (in the oven) with couscous


Visit the oranizing junkie for menu monday and a southern fairytale for mouthwatering mondays and visit real life for real life mondays.

3 comments:

darnold23 said...

I just wanted to thank you for posting to Crock Pot Wednesday and to let you know that Mister Linky is up for this week. There's a giveaway going on!

Suzy said...

Wow..now this is a pressure cooker I could handle. I've always been semi scared of them, but it would seem this would take out the guess work. Thanks for letting us know about such a great product!

comfycook said...

This chicken recipe says, "success" all over it.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.