Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Apple Skillet Cake



This has got to be one of the most fatteningly delicious recipes I have made in a long, long time.  I got it off the Pioneer Woman's website.  I actually had to lower the amount of butter for which it called because my arteries couldn't stand reading about using almost 3/4 pound of butter for one cake.  As is it, I doubled the recipe, made two cakes and used an entire pound of butter and it was SOOOOO wonderful.

Apple Skillet Cake(adapted from the pioneer woman)

Topping (which is really the bottom while it bakes)
4 small tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into six equal slices
1 stick butter
3/4 cup sugar
Cake:
1 stick butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream (I used reduced fat to make up for the gluttony of butter)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 small apple, peeled, cored, and chopped finely

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a 9 to 10-inch cast iron skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add 3/4 cup sugar to the pan and stir around, then place apple slices, wedge side down, in the pan. Don’t pack them too tightly, but try not to leave overly large gaps. Allow this to cook over low heat while you make the cake batter.  It should boil while you are mixing the other stuff, but don't let it burn.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 1 stick of butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla and eggs. Add sour cream and mix well. Combine dry ingredients and gradually add flour mixture until just combined. Gently stir in 1 chopped apple.

Remove skillet from heat. Spoon batter over the top, then spread gently so batter is evenly distributed. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and bubbly. (Note: Put a pan under the cake to allow for drips.  I had a house filled with smoke because I didn't do this.) Allow cake to sit in skillet for five minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. If some of the topping sticks to the pan, just scoop it out and find a spot for it on the cake, it won't matter if it's not perfect.



Visit the Organizing Junkie for Menu Monday
Visit 11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven for Homemaker Mondays
Visit a Southern Fairytale for Mouthwatering Mondays
This week is fall break, so we have a menu full of breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
Breakfasts:
Homemade Egg McMuffins (these can be made up ahead of time and frozen)
Omelettes
Cold Cereal

Lunches:
Tuna Sandwiches
Tacos
PB & J
Chicken Noodle Soup
Macaroni & Cheese

Dinners:
Ham Bonaparte (one of my all time favorite casseroles, will post for Tuesday)
Hamburger Stew (very frugal meal)
Pulled Pork  on Buns
Fettucine Alfredo (Realized I haven't posted this one either, so will get to it this week, too)
Leftovers

11 comments:

comfycook said...

I am so excited. Ever since, I got two cast iron skillets, I look for recipes, like this. I love apple so this is going to be a fun recipe.

Amy said...

I was floored to see your link at Rachel's!! I also posted a skillet cake today - the first one I've ever made - Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Skillet Cake just seems like a crazy coincidence to me.

Anyway - I love this apple one and I will try it for sure!

Rachel said...

I love love love this cake! My Granny used to make it for us growing up and now I have her skillet!!! I've made it only once but I LOVE it!!!! Too funny that you and Amy BOTH posted skillet cakes today!

Michelle said...

Do you freeze the whole Egg McMuffins? English muffin and all? How do you reheat them?

Kristen said...

Michelle - I do freeze the entire mcmuffin. I toast the english muffins first before assembling to give them a bit of crunch. I wrap them in waxed paper and pop them in the freezer in a ziploc. To reheat, I use the microwave, but you could probably also put them in a toaster or real oven.

heartnsoulcooking said...

What a YUMMY!!! cake. THANKS!!! Geri

comfycook said...

I came to visit my cake. Until, I get to bake it, I can come here and stare at it. No, I came to rescue the recipe and run away with it. We have two apple cakes that have to be finished before I start on this.

shopannies said...

sounds soooo delicious perfect for fall

bunny said...

I saw this recipe on PW and wanted to make but was also concerned about the amount of butter. Glad to know cutting it back doesn't make it any less yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Jes said...

Oh. My. Goodness! That looks soooo yummy! I can't wait to try this in one of my cast iron skillets! :)

Great post!

alessandra said...

Oh my, it looks so mouthwatering!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.