Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Stuffed Bread

Okay, I have a new favorite way to use up leftovers. Janelle has said repeatedly how wonderful it is, but like bagels, I thought it might be too hard. Really, all I can say is the more I try, the easier things are to make/bake. Here is the recipe I used for my bread:
Mix 2 1/4 cups flour with 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1 Tbsp instant yeast. Stir in 1 cup warm water and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Mix in enough of 1 more cup of flour to make a soft dough (I probably only used 1/2 cup more). Knead.
Roll out to a 10 X 14 rectangle ON YOUR BAKING SHEET. Put your filling on the middle third of the dough. In my case, I put a layer of American cheese, a layer of bbq pork and another layer of cheese. Cut the outer thirds into 1 inch strips equally on both sides. Alternating sides, criss cross over the filling. Cover with a towel and let rise 25 minutes. Bake 400 degrees for 25 minutes. I brushed butter over the top after baking to keep it soft. You could literally fill this with anything. I am thinking a Reuben-esque filling with sauerkraut, corned beef, Swiss cheese and thousand island dressing would be really good; so would meatballs and spaghetti sauce; so would turkey, gravy and stuffing....the possibilities are endless.

Tasty Tuesday is here.
Tempt your tummy Tuesday is here.
Tuesdays at the table are here.
$5 Dinner Challenge is here. P.S. I am getting up at 6am tomorrow to attempt homemade maple bars; wish me luck! If they turn out, you will see them here soon, otherwise, well, you know what happened.

15 comments:

Charlene said...

I do something similar with pizza dough--our favorite filling is Tex-Mex--ground meat with taco seasoning and a drained can of whole kernel corn, plus whatever cheese I have on hand.

I never really thought of using left-overs--I see I need to stretch my thinking, here!

Anissa said...

That looks yummy! Thanks for sharing.

Tosha said...

I know I would make it look so messy and ugly, yours is perfect!

Brenda said...

I love meals like this!

Melissa said...

I've made calzone and stromboli, but never thought of filling it with leftovers. Great idea!

AudreyO said...

I've never tried a stuffed bread before. It actually looks fairly easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

Andrea@hopefulhousewife said...

I made this last night! Ours was ham and cheese, and it was pretty tasty. Yours was much prettier than mine though. I had some dough technical difficulties.

MaRiN said...

Sounds yummy and looks so cool, I'm gonna try this!

Raise Them Up said...

I usually use the frozen bread dough to do things like this. I don't usually have the time or talent to make bread from scratch. Great idea,to fill it with leftovers!

momma said...

that looks beautiful and oh-so-delicious!

Cole said...

Yum, yum, yum!! What a great idea!

Sorry Mr. Linky didn't work this week. :-(

Sherry said...

Yum! THe possibilities are endless with this one. Sweet, savory, hmmm...

Thanks for sharing!
Sherry

Jenna said...

This looks amazing! Just found your site and I LOVE IT!!! I'm also a "once scared but overcomer" bread maker. My husband loves the smell of bread filling our home- this one will be even better since it's filled with meat and cheese! Thanks!

Sophie said...

What a tasty & appetizing filled bread! wonderful!

MMMMMMM...!!! Great for a party to serve with a lovely salad!

Stephanie said...

I love doing this! Whether pizza toppings, or leftover taco filling, or sloppy joes, or my fav: a chicken cordon bleu mix.... endless possibilities! Mmm!!

Found you through SITS! :-)

Check out my Mixed Berry Streusel Pie recipe!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.