Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets

Although I have seen instant oatmeal for $1 a box in the last year, and I serve it to my kids without batting an eye, I like the idea of making it from scratch.

Homemade Instant Oatmeal + variations on that theme:
3 cups quick-cooking oats
small ziplock baggies
Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender on high until powdery. Set aside in a small bowl and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats. If you'r using a food processor, you can do 1 cup at a time. Put the following ingredients into each baggie: 1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 tbls powdered oats and 1/8 tsp salt.

To serve: Empty packet into a bowl. Add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir and let stand for 2 minutes. For thicker oatmeal, use less water.

Variations:
1. Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal: To each packet add 1 Tbls sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 2 Tbls finely minced dried apples (use scissors)
2. Sweetened Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbls sugar or 1 packet artificial sweetener
3. Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbls brown sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon
4. Raisins & Spice Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbls brown sugar, 1 Tbls raisins and 1/8 tsp each allspice and cinnamon
5. Fruit & Cream Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbls non-dairy coffee creamer and 2 Tbls minced dried fruit (use scissors)
6. S'mores Oatmeal: Add 6 miniature marshmallows and 1 Tbls milk chocolate chips

If you know of any more variations, I would love to hear about them.

7 comments:

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

OH YUMMY - I loved those instant brown sugar cinnamon maple oatmeal packs - I can't have the store bought anymore so this will be a great substitute. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Alice Audrey said...

I wish I'd seen this recipe a few years back when I first gave up instant oatmeal. Instead, I learned you can make the quick oatmeal right in the bowl. But the kids wont do it that way for themselves.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Kelly said...

This is an awesome idea, I follow it, but I'm on a diet so I cut the salt out & I've been using plain, adding chocolate protein powder & a T of peanut butter in the morning.. tastes like a warm no bake cookie!

JUST ME, THE MOM said...

Way to be! This is such a great idea, we love oatmeal at our house so this is sure to be a hit, love all the variations so you can add different ingredients. Great place you have here - I'll be back soon:)

kristin K

newlyweds said...

What a great idea, I love instant oatmeal, and I was always worried exactly whats in it, but if I make it I will know, thanks!

Gretchen said...

We've been doing this for years and we love it. I also add flax seed to the oats before I grind them up to add a little extra to our oatmeal. I usually add a little more than 2 tbs of the ground oatmeal and flax because my kids like their oatmeal really thick. I also usually add about 1Tbs of powdered milk to each packet, no matter the flavor. My girls think that the milk makes plain old cinnamon and brown sugar taste like the packets called cinnamon roll. We also use maple syrup and pour a tbs on to plain oatmeal. If I had a huge pantry, I would make big batches in those twist and lock reusable containers so that we could pour our hot soy milk or hot water directly into the pre-made mix! That is what we do for camping trips, and it is so quick and easy!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.