Although I have seen instant oatmeal for $1 a box in the last year, and I serve it to my kids without batting an eye, I like the idea of making it from scratch.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal + variations on that theme:
3 cups quick-cooking oats
small ziplock baggies
Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender on high until powdery. Set aside in a small bowl and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats. If you'r using a food processor, you can do 1 cup at a time. Put the following ingredients into each baggie: 1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 tbls powdered oats and 1/8 tsp salt.
To serve: Empty packet into a bowl. Add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir and let stand for 2 minutes. For thicker oatmeal, use less water.
1. Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal: To each packet add 1 Tbls sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 2 Tbls finely minced dried apples (use scissors)
2. Sweetened Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbls sugar or 1 packet artificial sweetener
3. Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbls brown sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon
4. Raisins & Spice Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbls brown sugar, 1 Tbls raisins and 1/8 tsp each allspice and cinnamon
5. Fruit & Cream Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbls non-dairy coffee creamer and 2 Tbls minced dried fruit (use scissors)
6. S'mores Oatmeal: Add 6 miniature marshmallows and 1 Tbls milk chocolate chips
If you know of any more variations, I would love to hear about them.