Pages

Monday, February 9, 2009

Homemade Hot Pockets

A while ago, my sons started teasing for me to buy some Hot Pockets, you know, those puffed pastries filled with meat, sauce and cheese. I wasn't willing to pay $3 or so for a package that wouldn't fill up my hungry crew. I decided to make them myself. Pepperidge Farms sells puffed pastry sheets and they go on sale at 50% off periodically. I always have leftover meat of some kind. Combine the two and Voila! homemade hot pockets.

For a cheese sauce: Melt 2-3 Tbls butter in a pan. Add 2-3 Tbls flour and stir. Add enough milk to make a smooth sauce. Add 1/2-3/4 cups grated cheese (cheddar or swiss or jack). Stir until smooth. Add cubes of meat (any kind but fish). You can also add chilis, beans, peas or corn.

For a gravy with veggies: Peel and cube 1 potato and 1 carrot. If using leftover veggies, don't add until the thickening stage. Cube leftover meat. Combine all in a pot with about 2 cups water. Add herbs like rosemary, oregano, thyme - whatever sounds good to you - plus salt & pepper. Cover and boil until veggies are done ( the meat will help flavor the water and just get more tender). In a small bowl combing 1 Tbls cornstarch with enough water to dissolve. Add to meat pot and boil until thick.

Spread out thawed pastry sheet and cut into 6 squares (you will get 12 from a package). Put about 2 Tbls of meat mix in the middle of each square. Fold and pinch well to seal (if you don't seal it well, the filling will run all over). Bake on a cookie sheet 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden.

7 comments:

Leanne said...

Definitely one for next weeks menu plan and maybe even a couple of snacks this week. Thanks so much for this.

BarbaraLee said...

Is the pastry sheets like pie crust?

Kristen said...

BarbaraLee: Pastry sheets are a puffed pastry sort of like a croissant, with lots of thin layers when baked. You could make these with a pie crust and it would be more like a turnover or empanada. It would still be good.

Felicia said...

this sounds like a great recipe! I'll have to try it out!

stephanie (bad mom) said...

Ohhh, I will be my son's hero if I can whip up a Hot Pocket...Have you heard the Jim Gaffigan bit? Please look it up on YouTube; fantastic. Possibly as satisfying as this recipe sounds :D

DarcyLee said...

Great tips for making your own Hot Pockets. So glad you could visit my blog. I look forward to looking around your blog more.

Martha@Menagerie said...

I make them too but usually just wrap up leftovers and bake - the kids love them! :-)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.