Saturday, February 14, 2009

Big-Batch Bran Muffins

When the Good Guy was a kid, his mom would make up a batch of this muffin batter and keep it in the fridge. It keeps for up to 2 months. I make it now and love the idea of letting my boys make healthy muffins when they are hungry.

Bran Muffins
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
4 eggs, beaten
1 quart buttermilk (milk plus lemon juice)
5 cups flour
5 tsp baking soda
3 cups All-Bran cereal
2 cups bran flakes (I used raisin bran and picked out the raisins :-)
Cream sugar and shortening, add eggs and remaining ingredients. Pour 2 cups BOILING water over mixture and combine.

Bake 375 degrees 20 minutes in greased tin. The instructions say not to stir the batter each time you use it...I haven't figured that one out, but I am including it.
Makes about 90 muffins...give or take.
Bran Refrigerator Muffins on Foodista


~TAMY 3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

Sounds yummy - I love bran muffins especially with golden raisins in them. I like that the batter lasts so long. Now that it's just the 2 of us, that's a real plus! Thank you for another scrumptious addition to Simply Delicious Sunday.

shopannies said...

sounds great with a long shelf life
thanks for the recipe will defintly be added to my folder of to trys

thanks for visiting my blog

drgngirl said...

Sounds Bran Muffins.

Monica said...

These are just what I need for my kiddos. I'm not much for fixing breakfast so this would be a great idea and very easy. Thanks so much for sharing.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.