Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Aunt Viola's Chocolate Cookies: Week #4 Christmas Cookies



Growing up, I was the only grandchild on my Mom's side. It afforded me a lot of one on one time with the older grown ups. We would travel to upstate New York for the holidays and because I was the only child around, I was in the room while all of the visiting and reminiscing happened. My Grandmother's sister, Viola included me on her Christmas shopping list for many years. She passed along to my Mom (who then passed on to me) the recipe for her Chocolate Cookies with Boiled Butter Frosting. Mom used to make these up in huge batches and freeze them between waxed paper in square Tupperware containers. I would sneak out to the freezer and eat them frozen all of the time. (Apparently I used to sneak quite a bit of food as a child, it is a wonder I am not 300 pounds!!!)

Chocolate Cookies with Boiled Butter Frosting:

1 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

1 1/2 cup flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup shortening

6 Tbls cocoa

Beat sugar, egg and milk together. Sift flour, salt, cocoa and soda together and add. Add vanilla. Melt shortening and add last. Beat until smooth. Drop by teaspoonsful on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees 10-12 minutes.
Frosting:

2/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup butter

1/3 cup milk

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vanilla

2 cups powdered sugar

Boil sugar, butter, milk and salt vigorously. Remove from heat and beat in vanilla and powdered sugar. Spoon onto cookies.




27 comments:

Jenn said...

That looks SO good! Thanks for adding your recipe!

Maggie Ray said...

These cookies sound like ones my grandmother used to make. I am going to have to give these a try.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

I love this story. Thank you for sharing your family memories with all of us.

If this recipe is so good even frozen, I'm thinking chocolate cookie dough ice cream! YUM! Sounds like great chocolate cookies too.

Allison said...

I am on the hunt for a new Christmas cookie. These look great and love that you can freeze.

Pam @ From Apples To Zucchini said...

I love recipes that have family memories attached to them - these look great! Lovely choice for week 4!

BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} said...

These look so yummy!! I love favorite family recipes!! What great memories for you!!

Desi said...

Food that brings back memories are the best, aren't they? These cookies sound and look tasty! I'm intrigued by this boiled frosting :)

Amilia @justeverydayme said...

These cookies look great! Thanks for sharing such a neat recipe...I'm going to have to make these sometime :)

kita said...

I still sneak cookies! There's something about a cookie that just tastes better when no one else knows your munching on it. Your aunt was on to something here too, because these cookies sound delicious.

The Poet Herself said...

What a great family tradition! I was a lot younger than many of my cousins on my dad's side, so I had a lot of one-on-one time with the adults, too. Priceless. Like this recipe. :)

Trisha said...

I think it'll be impossible to stop at just one cookie. These look great!

Rachel said...

These look great - the frosting sounds especially wonderful!

Camilla Fay said...

I am for sure going to make these - Viola was my grandmothers middle name and my daughters middle name is Viola as well

Angela Leah and Marilena said...

Wow, those look delicious!The boiled icing sounds really interesting!

Tina said...

I would say your Aunt Viola has very good taste! A plain rich chocolate cookie is tasty, but that special touch of the frosting sounds amazing. How I would love to taste one of these. Yum! Have a great weekend!

Tracy said...

My grandmother has a chocolate recipe similar to this that has been passed on to family members for years. My mom used to make them and sandwich them between wax paper too!! I remember her baking a bunch and freezing them and sneaking into the freezer for a cookie. :) Love the story, brought back lots of good memories.

Eileen said...

I've been looking for a good chocolate cookie recipe and I think I've just found it. God bless Aunt Viola! I'm thinking orange frosting for a halloween treat.

Katie @ BloomEveryday said...

These look so amazingly delicious! Thank you for sharing such a great recipe. Check out our website sometime soon @ bloomeveryday.wordpress.com. :) We would love to share some of our recipes with you.

Kim Bee said...

These look so good. I love recipes from childhood. Saving this one. Yum!

Dionne Baldwin said...

You had me at chocolate, butter and frosting! Don't be surprised if you hear tale of me making these...my other half needs a chocolate treat and he will love these. :)

Jamie said...

Yum...frosting on Chocolate Cookies. No wonder you used to sneak them as a child. Family recipes are always the best.

Amy said...

I love frosting on cookies. Yum! Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh this week!

Tracy said...

I'd be sneaking these out of the freezer too; they look amazing! And that frosting, yum! Such a lovely cookie. :-)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I have been known for sneaking some cookies out of the freezer and I know I'd probably take some of these too!!

Mother Rimmy said...

I don't bake often, but this looks like a recipe worth making. It has such fond memories attached to it!

Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I used to sneak my grandmother's cookies all the time! Especially these crazy bar cookies that she made which nobody in my family seems to have the recipe for.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.