Sunday, April 18, 2010

Homemade Granola Bars in the Microwave: Make Your Own Monday #16

I apologize for a repeat this week (originally posted November 08).  Too much drama with sick kids, unconscious kids, lost kids in the Superstition Mountains (I didn't tell you about that one!) took too much time away from cooking.

This is by far our family's favorite granola bar recipe.  You can add your own extras like mini M&Ms or raisins or flax seeds or mini chocolate chips or pumpkin seeds or other dried fruit or, well you get the idea.

Granola Bars
1 stick butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups oats
1 cup coconut
1 cup almond slices (I only had whole almonds, so I got out my trusty kitchen hammer and smashed them!)
1 cup wheat germ (I only had oat bran, so I used that instead)
Combine 1st six ingredients. Microwave on high for 8 minutes. Stir, then add remaining ingredients. Reduce power to 50% and microwave for 10 more minutes, stirring halfway through. Spread on a greased jelly roll pan. Let stand until firm. Cut into squares or strips or whatever shape/size you want. Store in a sealed container. (I wrap them individually in foil and then throw into a zip-loc bag.)


lana said...

This looks good! I LOVE granola. Gonna have to try this one. Thanks for sharing today at TMTT.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Kristen, I am so glad that you found us. This recipe sounds great and pretty easy. Keep coming back. We have a great giveaway planned for December!

A happy heart at home said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!

suzannah said...

yum--i want to try this out.

21st Century Housewife© said...

Those sound delicious - and good for you too!

bonnie said...

ahh granola bars..yum


Maggie said...

Yum! These sound so good...and easy! Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

Looks yummy. Hope your drama is coming to an end! :)

Debbie said...

Wow, they look delicious! Sounds so easy.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.