Friday, November 28, 2008

Homemade Christmas Gift Ideas

One of our family's biggest traditions is giving homemade gifts to our neighbors, friends, teachers etc. Usually, I end up giving about 40+ plates of goodies out. This takes a bit of planning. I often start planning the gifts during the summer months. I need to figure out what I am making, how I will wrap it and then I need a big list of who is getting the treats. We reserve a night near the beginning of December to deliver said gifts. My boys fight over who gets to present which plate to which family. One will say, "My friend lives here," while another says,"But his dad is my scout leader." It is fun, it is hectic, but it is TRADITION!

A list of some of the things I have made includes:
Cranberry Chutney
Plum Sauce
Blackberry Jelly
Mint Hot Chocolate Mix
Wassail Mix
Cookie Mix in Jars
Spiced Nuts
Hot Fudge Sauce
Nine Bean Soup Mix
Mini Loaves: Chocolate, Banana, Pumpkin, Cranberry, Date
Almond Roca
Cookies: cutouts, peanut butter w/kisses, choc chip, date
Peanut Brittle
Cinnamon Rolls
Cheese Balls with crackers
Pies: apple, pumpkin, banana cream, coconut cream
Hot Pepper Jelly
Honey Butter

This year, I am planning on making homemade lollipops with the candy making supplies I have on hand. I bought cloth napkins at Kohls on clearance from $.39-$.89 and plan to sew them into bags. I will fill them with the candy and tie them with a ribbon. For the cookie plates, I bought colored plastic wrap at the dollar store after easter and will cover the paper plates with it.
Although sometimes I wonder if I am crazy to make all of these things, it is the memories I build with my kids that makes it all worth it.

No comments:

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.